What do you do for the national holiday of your country?

JoeG

Nothing. It's not such a big thing here, even though they're trying to make us feel belonging and patriotic and all that kind of stuff. Recently it became a holiday (which wasn't good at all) and some celebrations are arranged. But still, it's not as big or fun as in our neighbouring country Norway.

I'm surprised that some countries don't go as crazy as the US on a holiday, or don't have a holiday like the US independence day. lol

P.S. I'm not trying to be critical or condescending, I really was surprised.

We don't have one. The last time we were invaded was in 1066, and after that we never really became independent, it just kinda melded into one :P So no holidays for us! I can't think of any kind of equivalent.

What about St George's day for England? and St Andrews' day for Scotland? St Patricks day for Ireland? Don't remember the Welsh, no one cares about them :D

We don't have one. The last time we were invaded was in 1066, and after that we never really became independent, it just kinda melded into one :P So no holidays for us! I can't think of any kind of equivalent.

What about St George's day for England? and St Andrews' day for Scotland? St Patricks day for Ireland? Don't remember the Welsh, no one cares about them :D

This is semi-true, however I choose to discount it because nothing happens on said days, especially St. George's day which has the same kind of holiday status as National Socks Day. Except for St. Patrick's day which, insofar as I can tell, is actually most enthusiastically celebrated by Americans who have some ancestors who were Irish, in a way which surpasses even the celebrations of the Irish (or at least involves more of the celebrating and less of the hardcore alcoholism :D ).

There's no real 'country' day or anything. And of course, if you're not Catholic, supposedly even the Saints days are kinda pointless!

I guess the best I can come up with is the 5th of November for being a non-religious national celebration type thing... and I don't think that's really equivalent either except for that it vaguely ties into politics... and given the idea behind it, I'm going to be honest and say I'm not 100% about the word 'celebration' either... :D I dunno, I see your point, but I am inclined to reserve judgement :D

More countries need holidays celebrated with gluttony and pyrotechnics. Because eating yourself into a stupor and then playing with explosives is a great way to pay tribute to the founders of your nation!

Also, I really, really want future archaeologists and anthropologists to be really confused and just a little bit envious of our society.

Canada Day was just yesterday, and we celebrated by having a barbeque. Naturally (since I live in Newfoundland) it was raining, so it didn't work out all that well. It was very crowded because we couldn't go outside.

I do the same thing every year, and every year it gets worse and worse because my family gets bigger and bigger, and it gets more difficult to fit us all in one place. What a pain. I clearly enjoy Canada Day a lot. :P

Yesterday (July 1st) was Canada Day. We have barbeques and fireworks.

Sounds like a great time. What type of foods do you cook?

I know it can't be that different from barbecue in America, I'm just curious.

Standard bbq fare, I think haha. Hot dogs, steaks, burgers, chicken wings, corn, salad, etc.