Help me, wht subjects/levels should I take?

Guest Nigzel

Okay, here's the rough setup.

I will of course need my first language (Swedish), English and Mathematics. And I'm aiming to become a M.D., which means I need all the Group 4 subjects to be accepted into Swedish Universities.

However, I'm having problems with the chemistry (i.e. bigger problems than in the other subjects) already in my PreDP year. And I've never liked chemistry. So I'm planning to take psychology instead of chemistry, then take chemistry at something like Komvux, or at the same level.

So here's the deal, my preliminary subjects are (those I know I'm going to have are bolded);

Swedish SL - There's no way I'll ever take HL on this. I hate Swedish.

English HL

Math HL

Biology SL

Physics SL - A shot at HL if I turn out short on HL subjects.

Psychology SL/HL / Chemistry SL

Or, I'll be drastic and take 7 subjects. Question is how much extra load it would be.

I know I'm not asking any yes-or-no questions, but I'm not sure how to phrase myself. I just need some help, perhaps you guys could point out a few (and brief) explenations on the differences between SL and HL in the subjects. And maybe even share some personal experience. Bus as I said, brief please. :P

I could really need your help. :P

Regards, Pierre.

P.S. I'm not chosing any subjects until next year, so I got a full term to make up my mind.

Okay, here's the rough setup.

I will of course need my first language (Swedish), English and Mathematics. And I'm aiming to become a M.D., which means I need all the Group 4 subjects to be accepted into Swedish Universities.

However, I'm having problems with the chemistry (i.e. bigger problems than in the other subjects) already in my PreDP year. And I've never liked chemistry. So I'm planning to take psychology instead of chemistry, then take chemistry at something like Komvux, or at the same level.

Swedish SL - There's no way I'll ever take HL on this. I hate Swedish.

English HL

Math HL

Biology SL

Physics SL - A shot at HL if I turn out short on HL subjects.

Psychology SL/HL / Chemistry SL

Hi,

it all depends on what you like? Because the next two years you will be studying it and there is nothing worst then spending hours on something you are not interested in or what makes you irritated. HL version is always harder then SL ^^, especially when you chose a subject just because you had to choose something. However, if taking all g4 project subjects will make you closer to your aim/dreams, you should do it! I don't have chemistry, but my friends who have chosen it say that it's not so difficult at it seemed to be for them. Obviously the teacher has a great influence on if it's hard to understand or not.

Don't you like bio HL, phis, chem SL ??

It's really hard to say what would be better for you, because I would never take maths HL...not saying about physics HL. But Psychology could be cool and I know people like it. :P

Before you will make the decision you can look in to syllabuses, there everything is clearly showed.

Hey,

knowing that the Swedish med school requirements are very similar to those of Finnish med schools, I recommend the following:

- Take all sciences, it should be enough to take Physics and Chemistry at SL, but Biology should be HL definitely!

- In terms of Physics SL and HL, the difference is big, I'd say HL is a lot more demanding. The extra topics are a lot more difficult. However, HL has Medical Physics as an option, so that might motivate you.

- Don't take Mathematics HL, it's a killer and you don't need it for med school - trust me. Even if your uni will give you extra points for it, I wouldn't take it unless you are a genius in math. I'd say that your scores for Bio, Chem and Phys will be substantially better if you don't have HL Math with them. Taking all sciences is a huge load of work - you don't want to increase it with HL Math.

- I'd advise against taking Psych as a 7th subject in case you had considered it. You'll kill yourself with the work.

- And even if you don't consider taking HL A1 Swedish, reconsider! It's only four books more, the test itself is about the same level. It's a really easy HL compared to Math or Physics.

If you really want to do med school, you'll take all sciences. You'll need the Chem to get in, IB Chem prepares well at least for Finnish med school examinations.

Hope it helps

Edited by deissi

Guest PollyPeptide

Ok, I've been in this situation, so here's what I think about the matter.

If you really want to be a doctor in Sweden, you'll need all Sciences AND 40+. You don't need Maths HL, but nothing can stop you from taking it if you really are interested. Just keep in mind the 40+, which is easier to achieve if your subjects are easier.

Komvux is a big no-no. Avoid it if you can because a) there's a new law saying that those with high school grades only will be prioritized over those with supplementary Komvux-grades, and b ) there's not going to be much invested money in Komvux and that means worse education. If there is a single possibility of not taking Komvux, don't go there.

So, the alternative is that you take, say, Chemistry SL as a 7th subject, and then do the "tenta" in Kemi A and B (the Swedish courses). Then you drop Chemistry for the exams. This should be easier than writing the IB Chemistry exams. That's what people at my school are doing if they don't want to take a course, but still want the Swedish grades. You'll need to ask your teachers about how this is done at your school though.

Hope this has helped a bit :D

Edited by PollyPeptide

• 2 years later...

If you want to get into a medical program in Sweden, I would suggest the following courses if you want the easiest course load to get the highest score.

Group 1 - Swedish A1 HL

Group 2 - English A2 HL

Group 3 - Psychology SL (it's a very interesting course, very science-y)

Group 4 - Biology HL

Group 5 - Math SL (not studies)

Group 6 - Chemistry SL

7th subject - Physics SL

Although these are some of the easier classes and easier options it is by no means easy and the three science factor will require you to spend a significant amount of time reviewing material (especially biology higher level). I assumed you could handle English A2 HL, but if you feel you can't you have three options. Firstly, you can do English B HL. Secondly, you can do English A2 SL and do Psychology HL. Thirdly, you can do English B SL and do Psychology HL.

Good luck.