4 HLs

I am planning to do 4 HLs this coming september, which is when I start IB.

I have not decided whether to do English A1 HL or Psychology HL (def. doing Bio. and Chem HL), so I am planning to take 4 HLs, and drop down when I have decided which one I have more interest in.

Is this a good idea?

If your school allows it, there's no reason why you shouldn't give yourself that option -- provided it doesn't bind you into doing 4HLs forever, when you may find them difficult as you get into IB2. Those subjects are a reasonable combination, to my knowledge both Psychology and English are nice and lenient to go alongside Bio and Chem which will be a little heavier :)

I am planning to do 4 HLs this coming september, which is when I start IB.

I have not decided whether to do English A1 HL or Psychology HL (def. doing Bio. and Chem HL), so I am planning to take 4 HLs, and drop down when I have decided which one I have more interest in.

Is this a good idea?

I'm doing English HL, Math HL, Chemistry HL and Economics HL and so far (IB1) it has been okay. It depends on who you are and what the courses are I guess.. for example econ hl is pretty much the same as sl, whereas from what I've heard math hl will expect a lot more. So the gap between sl and hl varies.

Also informally speaking chemistry is considered, I think, a 'hard' higher and biology & english are medium, I guess, and psychology (again not from personal experience, only from hearsay) seems kind of 'soft', like economics. This depends on the person though I guess..

either way I encourage you to try the four highers. If it gets too challenging you can always move down, but moving up is pretty much unheard of.

good luck!