Writing a good TOK essay.

Guest Impashence

Guest Impashence

How do you write a good TOK essay? I keep getting "C"s, and I'm trying my best to explain myself and use relevant examples, etc. What might i do to get a better grade and improve my writing? Any specific tips?

Thank you in advance..

:blush: Impashence

Guest Impashence
First off, read this thread.

Second, could you perhaps specify more with what you have problems with? It's a bit hard to say how to improve without knowing what the problem is. Does your teacher give you some certain advice/comments perhaps?

I dont know everything about what is happening in the world of TOK and philosophy, so if i make a claim that is generally true so far as he has told us, he takes off points and cites a specific example... how was i supposed to know about some random scientists???

He says at the end of one of my essays: "You gave almost no analysis or support for exactly where or how in the knowledge-construction process creativity is necessary in science and or math. Needed to explain the process to support your claim that creativity is needed, cant just assert it. NO actual examples of science or math were given!"

But the problem is... I really felt like i gave examples and I felt that i had explained my point of view fairly well. Its really frustrating. I can send you the paper if you want it... Maybe i really am lacking all this stuff that he says i am. :P I really dont know how to write successfully in this class.

OH, but thank you for that thread, it was very helpful :P

send me one of your essays to my yahoo account (it's on my profile :P ) and Ill have a looky and tell you what you're teacher means. Sometimes students have a better way of communicating together than teachers d to students. Plus you're teacher isn't allowed to give you specific advice :P they always have to be general so as to avoid being accused of being njust between students. I, luckily, can't be accused of any such thing so go ahead and send me it and I'll give you specific feed back and maybe some advice you can work with XD

Have you tried to go overboard? I mean he says that you dont explain yourself enough right? Well what I do is I try to double the amount of analysis that I did and see if that helps. If it doesnt then that means Im on the wrong path. But I feel for you. Im great at TOK'in in class, but essays, down the drain. I wouldnt mind looking at your paper too if its fine with you. Perhaps we both can learn something:).

your questions are quite broad to be honest. Firstly it depends on what the essay title is, and what the counterclaims are + how are they represented/discussed. If you want to see what gets you high marks in the essay you should check the marking criteria... I haven't seen it in a while but I think there's something about having a balanced argument somewhere in there...

Is it possible to get high marks on the essay without using counterclaims?

no i dont think so.....because our teacher rly likes it because it shows how well the student has reflected or analyzed the topic.....And i saw this TOK presentation where this girl included a personal experience in her speech and the teacher (from harvard!!) really praised it....so thats a good suggestion....what u think?

• 6 months later...

My teacher said

1. Dont take definitions from dictionaries. think them up yourself.

2. Introduce Knowledge Issues using the WOK&AOK

3. Always have the end in sight (whatever that means)

4. You dont necessarily need to have a concrete answer at the end. thats TOK

5. And even if you don't want to elaborate on your counterclaims, jst mentioning or hinting that there could be another possibility/way of looking at the topic woiuld get you marks

• 5 weeks later...

Writing a TOK essay isn't tough as hell. First of all, read the TOK book and mind the main principles of it. Secondly, analyse the key words of your topic (use a dictionary or just think them up). Finally, run through your notes, pick a good, mind provoking quotation and lay down on your table for few hours of bloody work. Overall, these are the main things which could possibly help you beforehand. The rest is up to your imagination and creativity .

Would you say a good template for a TOK essay is this?

-State issue and definitions. Introduce two (or more) POV.

-Introduce POV #1. State its pros and cons.

-Rebut POV #1. State the rebuttal's pros and cons.

-Introduce POV #2. State its pros and cons.

-Rebut POV #2. State the rebuttal's pros and cons.

-Conclude (but note, it doesn't have to be definite!)

That's what I normally stick to.

AURON