Starting IB?

Penguiin

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, if it is, could someone move this?

Anyways, I am a sophomore in High School. Obviously our IB Coordinator is VERY biased with IB when it comes to choosing your schedule. Right now, I really don't feel like I have the motivation to IB. Two years ago, apparently, you'd have to pair an SL class with an AP or some crazy nonsense like that. Now she tells us that "It's a lot better" and that "I should really take it". Now I really don't feel like I could do the full IB diploma. I just wanted to stick with Honors & do a few certificates such as French (my strongest subject) and Biology, because we have the chance to here. In my Honors classes I've gotten (these are estimates):

- 85 in English

- 85 in Chemistry (was a 90 but I'm not so sure now)

- 98 in French

- 90 in Biology

- 94 in Math

- 78 in World History (Freshman year)

But I really feel like I'm not the right person for the IB Diploma. Obviously my coordinator is constantly trying to persuade me, and frankly, it's obnoxious. She's persuaded my parents enough to the point where they are almost convinced I am doing the diploma. One of my biggest concerns is we are not able to switch classes once school starts. One of my friends who is a Junior tried the IB Diploma and she had to drop out of our school and do homeschooling because she was failing nearly every class. My friend, who is a senior, tells me IB is a complete waste of time because you will not know if you have the diploma until you graduate and that it's useful only if you want to leave the country. She told me I should stick with Honors & AP's. My second biggest concern is if I will have a life (:D). Our coordinator says IB candidates are "very active" and are able to manage it. But I just don't believe her when I hear from other students. I want to get a job next year and spend a lot of time doing that, too, but my parents keep saying "my job should be only highschool" right now. I just feel like I shouldn't be doing this if I'm not so determined. I know part of the IB Candidate thing is being a "Risk-Taker" but I feel like this is too much of a risk. Now what are your thoughts?

Edited by Penguiin

If you're interested in attending university in the United States, I'd agree with your 'IB Senior friend', you should stick to Honors and AP. It'd be much easier to get higher grades, a better GPA, more free time for all those time consuming ECs, easier to get into universities since you have more time to plan out your application and essays and finally, easier to graduate.

Sure, IB is a more worldly experience and it's well rounded, but the main aim of a High School student is to get into university. There'll be plenty more chances in life to be well rounded.

• Like 3

Hi,

I'm probably going to the Pre-IB program next year, but I'm in Canada, so will the IB help me get into a US university? Currently, I am in the Mini school at Point Grey, and I am assuming that IB will be harder, so it will be harder to get a higher rank in the grade. Will this affect my post-secondary education choices alot?

Thanks

If you're interested in attending university in the United States, I'd agree with your 'IB Senior friend', you should stick to Honors and AP. It'd be much easier to get higher grades, a better GPA, more free time for all those time consuming ECs, easier to get into universities since you have more time to plan out your application and essays and finally, easier to graduate.

Sure, IB is a more worldly experience and it's well rounded, but the main aim of a High School student is to get into university. There'll be plenty more chances in life to be well rounded.

Thank you! I am trying to wrap this idea around my parents' heads, but for some reason they are convinced I am doing it. Now they are trying to get me to do it. "You can't do so and so unless you do the IB program"

IB is not my type of thing!! I'd rather stick with honors and AP and keep my GPA up! I feel like IB would really down my GPA, even with the extra 1.0 weight on those classes. How do I convince my parents? I feel like I've given so many legit reasons but they aren't giving up.

IB may seem very enticing but it's nothing too out of the ordinary. I feel that A levels or the French Baccalaureate have their own perks and people need to think about the course and them as a person before enrolling themselves.

Tell them that IB will not benefit you. In terms of getting into University it doesn't really weigh more than other programs. Tell them that you'd enjoy your life and be more proactive by doing what you genuinely want to do.

I think you should cite examples of people who are want you strive to become or head in the same direction who haven't done the IB.