Math Studies - Political Science

Justanotherstudent

Yes because A. Political Science is not a very mathematical course so you can get away with Maths Studies and B. Universities in the US would offer you a place in Engineering if you had Maths Studies, they're not really bothered with the level of Maths because you learn it all over again anyway.

I largely agree with Aboo. However... taking a harder math course can show the unis that you continually challenge yourself. Taking IB definitely shows that, so don't take this the wrong way. For me the battle has been that I was a borderline candidate. A little thing could swing the decision one way or the other. There's another Math Studies thread. There are actually lots of them. :P An overall higher score is better, I think. I don't know how to say this, but typically, you can get into a more selective school if you're pretty good at a lot of things or just brilliant at one/two things. The schools will admit both types of students. I say go for what you're comfortable with now, and look into the Math Studies teacher and the Math Methods teacher at SL. Maybe students like one or the other and can learn from one better.

Once again, like Aboo said, Math Studies is definitely a valid course. You can get in and do just fine with it. Other than on that point, I don't know how to be conclusive, if you're asking for advice.

• 4 weeks later...