Language B, P2 (writing) tips

What are some good things to do in your writing task to score well (apart from the obvious)? Does anyone have a list of the different formats that they might ask you to use (like a speech, informal letter, etc)? What about sample responses that scored well?

I'm taking HL Spanish so it would be nice to get specific help regarding past papers/sample responses but really the tips here can apply to all the languages since they ask you to do similar tasks. I know that you should use precise vocab, idiomatic expressions, and complex grammar, but in class we haven't really gone over what makes a good response and what the examiners are looking for. Also, does cultural knowledge for the language matter on this paper?

Thanks for the help.

As far as I know from Russian B SL(good luck to me on Friday, yay!), in the part II the formats they ask you to do (or at least I haven't seen any others in five different exam papers) are:

1) a public speech(formal);

2) an article in the school's newspaper/local newspaper/any-random-magazine(so-so formal; it's still an article);

3) an advertisement, e.g., for a club you and your friends run, etc;

4) an entry in your diary (very informal - we usually choose this, because it's your diary! People cannot tell you how you write your diary :D );

5) a letter to a local newspaper (aka formal letter), e.g. regarding something you and your classmates do not like in the current events.

The main thing to remember is -

1) if you write an article - remember to put some kind of greeting in the beginning and your name (probably date as well) in the end;

2) if you write a letter - the same - greeting in the beginning and definitely your name and date in the end.

However, that's Russian, not Spanish, so there might be some differences. Also, I believe that knowing some cultural aspects is wonderful. It could give you some extra points, if you know some traditions, and you mention them, etc. It could probably convince the examinators that you are really into the language and culture.

I'm no big help for Spanish or HL, but I hope that this helped you in any way! Probably someone else will be able to provide some more information exactly about Spanish!

Good luck in your exam,

Kaneele :(

Edited by Kaneele
  • Like 1

I took Spanish B SL. Kaneele's information is pretty solid.

I remember deciding which one I'd do based on vocabulary. If I felt that I didn't have vocabulary specific to the question, I'd avoid it. There were always random cinematography questions... :D

But, yes. Take the register/tone into account and plan out a structure. I assume this is more important at the HL. Plan your essay out and then write it. I felt we had a decent amount of time.

One last thing... if there's a creative prompt and you choose to address it, make sure you're covering your bases! Think of different possible interpretations of the question and different ways to answer it. Try to show your voice and enthusiasm where appropriate. I'd stick a few idioms in if it's informal. =) Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm not really in favour of writing, and actually you have so much time that youcould write a scrap and than rewrite it. Looks better if it's not too many alterations in it, I suppose. Also, use as complex grammar as you can. If you know some hard grammar or difficult words, make sure you use it, just to show off. XD