Subject Choice help?

Sunflowerr

I have about 5 days to submit my final FINAL choices. Ive thought about it for ages and I just cant decide..

Is taking 4 subjects on HL really really hard? My headmistress has reluctantly agreed to it , telling me I'll be sleeping 3 hours a night and Ill fail the course etc.

My decision has been:

HL: English Lit A2 Biology Geography History

SL: Math SL, Polish A1 SL

But after shes given me some thoguht I think I should change Geography HL to German B SL (supposedly the easiest subjects to get 7's from are languages)

I dont know though id feel like such a cop out takign all the easiet subjects? I eman, 3 languages, History , Biology and Maths SL (not studies at least. Everyonme in my year is doing 3 LAnguages Id be teh only one doing just 2.

Would unis not take me very seriously with this combination? I'd want to do Anthropology and Archaeology, but Business or Economics are also options at uni.

Too bad my school doenst offer Economics at IB :)

I've ALWAYS had problems with decisions :/ Help?

Do German B HL, no one cares about Geography it's not that beneficial, it is definetely not a soft subject but not as useful in comparison to let's say German.

I suggest you do 4 HLs to begin with, I seriously wish I had done this, then do German B HL instead of Geography and then drop one of your HLs to standard in year 13.

Edited by Bishup

My school is really silly with changing subjects anythign beyond a month from the start of the school year though. Do they have a choice though, if I say I want to drop to SL?

I know that when i told them i wanted to do 4 at HL they went to every possible measure to change my mind. They told me Id have to write to the IBO saying why I wnated to do 4 , and which course I wnated to do it for, I got yelled at quite a bit. If I quit after the first year theyd have me for a cop out and :/ hmm. d'oh.

Well I highly suggest you DON'T take 4 HL, it's going to be VERY difficult for you, but seeing as your University options are anthropology and archaeology, I suggest you stick to History, English and Biology, drop Geography though, IB is a highschool curriculum, not a pre-university one, as much as it seems like one.

If you really want to take Geography, you may want to take it at HL for the first year, and as soon as you find it's coming in the way of your assignments and etc, you can drop it. You can drop any subject that's not mandatory or necessary to your combination at any time. A friend of mine changed from English A1 HL to English A1 SL in the middle of the final IB year. No one has the right to stop you, even if you want to drop the course completely. And as far as I know, you do not need to write a letter to the IBO, but check on this, send an email to the IBO asking them.

Good luck!

Hello, thanks for the reply. I dont think you do need to send the IBO a letter , my school was just trying to scare me probably since theyre so strongly against it.

I think Ill go with German at HL , then drop it after a year and get a much easier good grade that way. Hope my school doesnt freak about it though and they let me take it at HL , so far Im a B student from german , definately not an A, which is why Im a bit concerned.

In my college, there were plenty of people who started off with 4 HLs (including me). There are now none, due to the crazy amounts of homework, IAs and lack of free time you got. Dropping Geopgraphy for German probably wouldn't disadvantage you for unis choices, and would give you a wider variety of choices for work etc. in the long run. If you really want to take 4 HLs its probably easier to take one of your languages (Polish or German) as HL as the content in languages isn't that much different from SL to HL

I have about 5 days to submit my final FINAL choices. Ive thought about it for ages and I just cant decide..

Is taking 4 subjects on HL really really hard? My headmistress has reluctantly agreed to it , telling me I'll be sleeping 3 hours a night and Ill fail the course etc.

My decision has been:

HL: English Lit A2 Biology Geography History

SL: Math SL, Polish A1 SL

But after shes given me some thoguht I think I should change Geography HL to German B SL (supposedly the easiest subjects to get 7's from are languages)

I dont know though id feel like such a cop out takign all the easiet subjects? I eman, 3 languages, History , Biology and Maths SL (not studies at least. Everyonme in my year is doing 3 LAnguages Id be teh only one doing just 2.

Would unis not take me very seriously with this combination? I'd want to do Anthropology and Archaeology, but Business or Economics are also options at uni.

Too bad my school doenst offer Economics at IB <3

I've ALWAYS had problems with decisions :/ Help?

Well, even if you start with 4 Hls, you can always drop one later. So do not worry too much about that. Yes, I at least find German B very easy, and languages are always useful. But do not just choose what seems easiest, choose what you like. Don't worry about it being too easy either, IB is definitely hard enough, even with "easy" subjects.