How Much Time Does IB Really Take Up?

Pwhdavey

Hi

I'm a 2008 candidate for IB. This idea has been brewing in my head for a while: contributing do a wiki on an active basis = Service aspect of CAS? Surely? I'm an active contributor to a large wiki and I love what I do there. I think I'm all set to become an admin there soon and yet the "elections" as they call them are not until January. School starts February and since IB is a very demanding activity, I may not have any time at all through the year to make a single edit around the wiki - this is lamentable because it will detract and destroy my interest there. No? So, contributing to a wiki: reckon that can be accepted as part of CAS for Service, or is any kind of internet activity unaccepted into CAS? Interesting topic, think.

And of course - is there room to squeeze in the wiki through the year? How much spare time will I have?

Thanks,

Paul

And of course - is there room to squeeze in the wiki through the year? How much spare time will I have?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

that's a good question, but unfortunately the answer can bring you down. In IB is a lot of work - it's sure. Some people don't believe (I used to be that person) in IB is so hard , where "so hard" means that if you want to pass IB with more or less good notes, you have to study a lot, do all those crazy lab reports and essays and be good prepared and it's connected with a little free time...

There are moments when you are very busy and everything is happening in the same time, but there are also moments when it's less work - and you like IB XD

I don't know how much time do you spend on wiki, but I think that you could do it as your creativity. I know one guy who is admin of a one local charity page and he has it as creativity.

Think twice before you will choose IB :P

In my opinion, if you really love something, then you can make enough time for it. For example, I'm on student council, and when I recorded my hours yesterday I found that in two months I had accumulated 70 hours and yet I'm still doing great in school and I get everything passed in on time and done well. It all comes down to time management. IB shouldn't make you stop what you love to do. Granted, it will make you prioritize your activites though. Like, for me, I was on at least 4-5 sports teams and now all I do is run track. I think the formula here is to prioritize and manage your time well.

The material in IB isn't necessarily difficult, but as others have already pointed out, there is a LOT of work to be done. If you manage your time well, and are a pretty organized person, I'd say you'll still have time to work on wiki (btw...THAT'S SO COOL!). I'm not sure if putting stuff on wikipedia will count for CAS hours though...my history teachers are vehemently against it, so my CAS coordinator probably wouldn't count it. I think it depends on your CAS coordinator, it's certainly a creative idea though!

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's quite a long time since you post it but I still want to answer :lol:

IB does take "time" but it doesn't take ALL of it. I heard so many students said you won't have social life or anything along that line if I go into full IB. They said they are all going to miss my craziness. However, those statements aren't true at all. I still can do everything I like to do. I perform so many plays in the year, I'm a Vice President of the IB student council, I play many sports and always hang out with my friends. Most importantly, I'm still on top of the class. This is because of "time management" or how well you can organize your time. Most people said they don't have enough time because once they come back from school; they play games, chat, online, etc and start their homework at night which result in 5 hours of sleep time. This is because it takes longer time than normal.

If you get aside a couple of hour each day (around 3 - 3.5 hours) for homework and revision, you will be fine.

For example, here is my schedule

8 am - get up and go to school

8.30 -3 pm - school time

3 - 4 pm - basketball / hangout with friend

4 - 5 pm - fitness / weightlifting

5.30 - 6.30 - Dinner

6.30 - 7.00 - cyber world (internet / game / chat )

7 - 10 pm - study / homework

10 - 11 pm - free time! woohoo

11.30 - 12.00 pm - read a book (basicly another freetime)

12.00 - 8 sleep ( 8 is consider enough for 16 - 18 years old )

Enough said, you can still do what you want to do!! and Go for iT!! :P

Because I procrastinate, IB takes up most of my time. See, I'm either in an IB class, doing CAS, running away from IB by going on facebook (but end up ranting about it anyway), or finally settling down to do homework.

7:00 - Get up and bus, i hate the fact that my school is in the middle of nowhere

8:00 - Get there, eat breakfast, print off some last minute assignments

8:30 - 11:30 - Classes

11:30 - 12:20 - Lunch, then library to study

12:20 - 3:15 - Classes

3:15 - 5:00 - Depending on the day of the week, Yearbook meeting, sports practice, sports game, volunteer, IB Extra Friday Session/Mandatory Fun

5:00 - 6:00 - Bus home

6:00 - Do some preliminary reading, dinner

7:00 - 8:00 - Online stuff, lol aka facebook/blogging/forums

8:00 - 11:00 - Homework, or a bit early if i have loads of stuff

11:00 - 1:00 - My computer shuts off, so i have to finish printing before 11, then I do all the hardcopy paper homework / study for tests

7:00 - Get up again

I'm such an inefficient person x.x

You are doing hw around 5 hours a day?? seriously?? Is that suppose to be average or something?? because according to IB guide, in grade 9-10, you expect to work 2.5 a day and in grade 11-12 around 3.5 hours a day ONLY!! At least I found that enough for me and I finish all my task before hand everytime including some drafts checking with my teachers.....

You are doing hw around 5 hours a day?? seriously?? Is that suppose to be average or something?? because according to IB guide, in grade 9-10, you expect to work 2.5 a day and in grade 11-12 around 3.5 hours a day ONLY!! At least I found that enough for me and I finish all my task before hand everytime including some drafts checking with my teachers.....

Yes, but the average IB student is a procrastinator.

So yes, it would take that long.

However, if you're on top of your game, then kudos to you!

Because I procrastinate, IB takes up most of my time. See, I'm either in an IB class, doing CAS, running away from IB by going on facebook (but end up ranting about it anyway), or finally settling down to do homework.

7:00 - Get up and bus, i hate the fact that my school is in the middle of nowhere

8:00 - Get there, eat breakfast, print off some last minute assignments

8:30 - 11:30 - Classes

11:30 - 12:20 - Lunch, then library to study

12:20 - 3:15 - Classes

3:15 - 5:00 - Depending on the day of the week, Yearbook meeting, sports practice, sports game, volunteer, IB Extra Friday Session/Mandatory Fun

5:00 - 6:00 - Bus home

6:00 - Do some preliminary reading, dinner

7:00 - 8:00 - Online stuff, lol aka facebook/blogging/forums

8:00 - 11:00 - Homework, or a bit early if i have loads of stuff

11:00 - 1:00 - My computer shuts off, so i have to finish printing before 11, then I do all the hardcopy paper homework / study for tests

7:00 - Get up again

I'm such an inefficient person x.x

It's very similar to my life <_<

Just usually I wake up at 6. and I'm at school from about 8 (I'm usually late) to 5 pm. Sometimes I finish earlier and have some breaks between, but it's still the time which I spend in school. After school I'm studying if it's necessary or I'm doing my cas... Later I'm spending time (during which in theory I should been studying, sleeping or at least doing "something more profitable") in the net, chatting, checking mails, posting and surfing... Then it's very late and I feel sleepy, but I can't fall asleep because I think of all this things I should done and I haven't. I woke up again about 6, I feel sleepy, I have a coffee, go walk with dog, but everything goes so slow. I turn on ipod (my daily pleasure) go on train, but I'm late...so I'm late for school too. Of course there are things like reading, eating, taking shower ^^ and meeting with friends or doing sports. but in general it's from 6am - 12/1am day.

that's my life in a short, sarcastic way :D

It takes time, but if I would be better organized it'd be smoother :D

So basicly average students are procastinator so they ended up spending so much time on one - two days of the week before the due date :P I think I have a lot of works here in my school as well but if you manage your time very well. For instance, don't turn on your MSN or computer if not necessary (which is closed to impossible). My strategy is that I have one laptop that I brought by myself which have nothing on it except necessary programs and internet. As a result, I never used MSN while I'm working. I always do my hw in my own room so I can concentrate and most of time, it doesn't really take more than 4 hours. Which left you around 2-3 hour of free time to either do CAS / your WIKI :innocent:

Don't procastinate!! That's all I can say...Finish your tasks before hand. Manage to get every done ASAP. For instance, long term project can be done in one weekend...then you pretty much have free time during the schoolday which I use to play sports and hang out with my girlfriend. I have heard so many IBers complain that they lost their highschool life but that is not true at all!! I still have fun in my highschool or rather because I have gone through MYP in IB program so I don't have to adapt my life so much :D Last important thing, get enough sleep! That's the most important thing to do!!

Someone took this screenshot on MSN at 2:30am the night before TOK Essay Draft D (our school makes us write 4 topics) was due

That's exactly what my friends do...They are all whining in MSN the "night before the due date" but I alway smile at them and said "sorry, I finished it last week and I already submit it" Then I turned my MSN and slept while smiling :D

Edited by Argiyama