May 10 Physics SL

Tilia

So how did you find it?

On paper 1 (TZ2 I think), there were definitely some hard question, but P2 was a piece of cake! On paper one, what did you pick for the question about...

Interference of waves, are P and Q at minimum or maximums?

A water power plant, what is the maximum power available?

So how did you find it?

On paper 1 (TZ2 I think), there were definitely some hard question, but P2 was a piece of cake! On paper one, what did you pick for the question about...

I was pleasantly surprised by papers 1 and 2! Though I noticed that there were quite many trick-questions in P1 - I think they might bring my grade down a bit. I did manage to spot a few of them: there was that one about the conditions of thermal equilibrium where many answered ''the same temperature'' when in fact the right answer was that they should be in contact with each other.

I did Section B1. Knew like half of the questions, which was really good for me, since I'm aiming at a 4. :D

So how did you find it?

I was pleasantly surprised by papers 1 and 2! Though I noticed that there were quite many trick-questions in P1 - I think they might bring my grade down a bit. I did manage to spot a few of them: there was that one about the conditions of thermal equilibrium where many answered ''the same temperature'' when in fact the right answer was that they should be in contact with each other.

I did Section B1. Knew like half of the questions, which was really good for me, since I'm aiming at a 4. :D

But isn't the point of thermal equilibrium that they are at the same temperature? Can anyone confirm the anser to this question?

So how did you find it?

But isn't the point of thermal equilibrium that they are at the same temperature? Can anyone confirm the anser to this question?

that's what i thought since there is no net thermal energy loss???

argh i screwed that up BIG time. i have basically failed physics.

Thermal equilibrium means that two bodies are of the same temperature, yes, but they must be in contact as well. If you just take two random objects that happen to be in the same temperature then they're not in thermal equilibrium with each other, they're just two bodies with the same temperature. Thermal equilibrium comes about when two bodies are in contact with each other and the temperature flows from the hotter body to the colder one until their temperatures are stable ie in equilibrium.

But guys don't sweat it, it's just one question from thirty!!

Edited by avident
  • Like 1

Well i'm aiming at a 2 in physics so i don't think I might be of any use... in my school our physics teacher actually went to one sixth of our regular class hours... so I don't expect much.

But well, considering my lack of knowledge in physics I thought both papers were quite hard... hehehe

Cheers

• 1 month later...