MAY 2010 - Psychology HL Papers 2 + 3

hanniexx

Thought as paper 3 was quite small, we could combine papers 2 and 3 discussions to save space?

So, how did everyone think it went?

For paper 2, I did:

Dysfunctional - the aetiology and treatment question. A godsend question.

Psychodynamic - the gender considerations. It was the same question (basically) as my EE, so I was a bit in love with it :)

Paper 3, I didn't think it was especially hard, I'm just worried I haven't put enough down, especially for q1 on interviews.

Thought as paper 3 was quite small, we could combine papers 2 and 3 discussions to save space?

So, how did everyone think it went?

For paper 2, I did:

Dysfunctional - the aetiology and treatment question. A godsend question.

Psychodynamic - the gender considerations. It was the same question (basically) as my EE, so I was a bit in love with it :)

Paper 3, I didn't think it was especially hard, I'm just worried I haven't put enough down, especially for q1 on interviews.

paper 2 I did

Dysfuntional etiology of Social anxiety disorder and treatment I talked about Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)... loved this as I got to channel my extended essay into the answer =]

Social- asked about a research methodology so basically the same as question 5 in paper 1 section B

Paper 3 was OK I got the questions and everything but I'm also a but worried I didn't write enough although for question 3...question 1 I really liked =]

I'm not too sure about the differences between HL and SL psych exams since my school doesn't offer HL, but I do know that the psychodynamic - gender considerations question is also in SL paper 2 and I chose that one! :) I was surprised by how un-surprising the questions were - they were exactly the same as the some of the one's I've been practising on! If only evey exam was like that..

I'm not too sure about the differences between HL and SL psych exams since my school doesn't offer HL, but I do know that the psychodynamic - gender considerations question is also in SL paper 2 and I chose that one! :) I was surprised by how un-surprising the questions were - they were exactly the same as the some of the one's I've been practising on! If only evey exam was like that..

I think they're pretty much the same just paper one has 3 questions in section be and section A instead of 4 questions like in higher but i think thats the only difference. I know the questions were unsurprising if you've done past papers it would be quite easy to answer them lol but hey i'm not complaining =]

• Like 1

I did Dysfunctional - Etiology and treatments of depression. Talked about monoamine oxidase (biological) and incongruence (humanistic). Client centered therapy for my treatment

Social psyc i did methodology- experiments

Paper 3 the questions were amazing. I also dont know if i wrote enough, but it wasnt a hard question... but there really isnt a whole lot of stuff to talk about.

I think they're pretty much the same just paper one has 3 questions in section be and section A instead of 4 questions like in higher but i think thats the only difference. I know the questions were unsurprising if you've done past papers it would be quite easy to answer them lol but hey i'm not complaining =]

As well as that, on Paper 2, HL answer two questions whilst SL only answer one. And SL have no paper 3.

True, there wasn't too much to write about. Apart from number 1 - my friend came out saying she'd written pages and pages for that. Although she just probably wrote a reasonable amount just in a heck of a lot of detail...!

I did number 7 for dysfunctional behavior.

I think it asked to discuss 2 models/theories of one dysfunctional behavior.

Number 7 and 9 seemed very similar to me, so what would be an ideal response for number 7?

I've seen the responses in this thread for number 9, and I'm getting a bit worried about what I wrote for 7, thinking it would have been better for question 9.

Lol, I'm beginning to jabber.

I did number 7 for dysfunctional behavior.

I think it asked to discuss 2 models/theories of one dysfunctional behavior.

Number 7 and 9 seemed very similar to me, so what would be an ideal response for number 7?

I've seen the responses in this thread for number 9, and I'm getting a bit worried about what I wrote for 7, thinking it would have been better for question 9.

Lol, I'm beginning to jabber.

If I did 7 I'd talk about social anciety disorder for the dysfunctional behavior and then talk about models rather than theories - medical model and behavioral model...medical model saying it's genetic and should be treated with drugs (it's an illness just like any other) and behavioral saying that you learn it from the environment...

almost did that one but on a whim decided to do 9 lol =/

Edited by Articflames

Thank you.

I actually did use the medical model and the behavioral model, except I talked about schizophrenia.

My response was about 2.5 or 3.5 leafs long, I don't remember since I've repressed most of what happened during my exam.

On a side note, I found it funny that I only know one person who chose #8, the one on classification(?).

Revision: Lol, I had typed wrong instead of long.

Edited by JoeGuff

Thank you.

I actually did use the medical model and the behavioral model, except I talked about schizophrenia.

My response was about 2.5 or 3.5 leafs wrong, I don't remember since I've repressed most of what happened during my exam.

On a side note, I found it funny that I only know one person who chose #8, the one on classification(?).

I did question 8! It was easy. Yeah, the one on classification ;)

Thank you.

My response was about 2.5 or 3.5 leafs wrong, I don't remember since I've repressed most of what happened during my exam.

really lol almost everyone at our school did 8 or 7 I think I was the only one who did 9 lol didn't really wat to take the risk with the classification one

Even though there are only 2 of us in my class, we both did number 9.

The thing about those 3 questions is that they've both been done before, so as long as you revised well and looked at past papers, any of them would have been nice to see.

The invigilator told me that she saw me smile when I opened the paper XP

The thing about those 3 questions is that they've both been done before, so as long as you revised well and looked at past papers, any of them would have been nice to see.

that's what was so great every month our teacher would give us ast papers to sit under exam conditions so we've sat everyone from 2003-2008 and I looked at 2009 myself...it was hilarious because we all left smilling and one of our teachers kept jumping up and down squeeling at how excited she was that we all looked like we did great on the paper. Granted I was a bit dissapointed as I was hoping for a bit of a challenge but eh what can you do.

what are you predicted in Psychology?

that's what was so great every month our teacher would give us ast papers to sit under exam conditions so we've sat everyone from 2003-2008 and I looked at 2009 myself...it was hilarious because we all left smilling and one of our teachers kept jumping up and down squeeling at how excited she was that we all looked like we did great on the paper. Granted I was a bit dissapointed as I was hoping for a bit of a challenge but eh what can you do.

Aha that's awesome.

Our teacher has sent a very nervous email to all of us asking how it went. Poor guy, too nervous for us (which doesn't say anything good... XP)

I'm predicted a 7. You?

What I don't get is why the grade boundaries are quite low (compared with other subjects, like history were a 7 is 80%). For us a 7 is 70%. But all of us seem pretty darn happy about this year, so do you think the boundaries will go up a bit?

Aha that's awesome.

Our teacher has sent a very nervous email to all of us asking how it went. Poor guy, too nervous for us (which doesn't say anything good... XP)

I'm predicted a 7. You?

What I don't get is why the grade boundaries are quite low (compared with other subjects, like history were a 7 is 80%). For us a 7 is 70%. But all of us seem pretty darn happy about this year, so do you think the boundaries will go up a bit?

I'm predicted the same a 7 :P

lol really? our teachs tend to find us around school and ask us...our IB coordinator tends to wander into the library everyday asking how the exams went they seem more nervous then us lol (then again we are the first year)

I think it might go up slightly as everyone seems to think it went great and I don't see the IB leaving the boudary low enough for loads of people to get a =/

Aha that's awesome.

I'm predicted a 7. You?

I'm predicted the same a 7 :D

lol really? our teachs tend to find us around school and ask us...our IB coordinator tends to wander into the library everyday asking how the exams went they seem more nervous then us lol (then again we are the first year)

I think it might go up slightly as everyone seems to think it went great and I don't see the IB leaving the boudary low enough for loads of people to get a =/

Woop. Good luck!!

LOL. Our teachers aren't bothering with us - except my psychology teacher. Probably too nervous too, and they just want to focus on the year below. Understandable!!

Ooo you're the first year? That's pretty cool. Was it okay being like their 'test year'?

Hmmm true. But it won't go up too much higher than 70%. Even in the other years when it was 70%, the essays weren't too stressful or killer. But I guess it's just the handful of people on here appear pretty good at Psychology, and there are many who aren't on this site who would've found it killer. Hopefully? :P

Aha that's awesome.

I'm predicted a 7. You?

I'm predicted the same a 7 :D

Woop. Good luck!!

LOL. Our teachers aren't bothering with us - except my psychology teacher. Probably too nervous too, and they just want to focus on the year below. Understandable!!

Ooo you're the first year? That's pretty cool. Was it okay being like their 'test year'?

Hmmm true. But it won't go up too much higher than 70%. Even in the other years when it was 70%, the essays weren't too stressful or killer. But I guess it's just the handful of people on here appear pretty good at Psychology, and there are many who aren't on this site who would've found it killer. Hopefully? :P

thanks good luck to you too!!

yep first year yeah we really were the test year...they've changed everything with the year 12s as they realized how they did it with us was a mistake (ToK presentation done in February, mock exam 2 weeks back, etc) and now their doing ToK in the first year and mock exams in December....Granted they did try harder with us and they were more supportive lol

lets hope so lol

and that's true in our year theres about 2 people getting level 7s throughout the couse (me and another kid in my class) the rest get level 5s so hopefully it's just the ones on this site who find the test really good :P

• 1 month later...