R E T A K E for higher marks

sowhat321

Math SL paper 1 and 2 TZ2  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Was it easy for you to do? (7 being YEEEEEES, 1 being NOOOOOO)

Okay, so I messed up my paper 1 and 2 in mathematics standard level timezone 2! How would UK-universities and US-universities feel about an applicant with 1 or more retakes in the diploma? Do you know any specific universities that don't bother and specific unis that "welcomes" no matter whether you retook exams or not.

Please answer this question of mine! :coffee:

uhhh. you definitely have disadvantage on both uni.s. If you are aiming something like Law, Medicine in UK, you are pretty much out.

But I have seen lots of cases who got into uni.s they want after retake. They have some decent reasons to retake like 'the whole class was kinda bull so you had to retake it' or something like that.

For example, I have seen a person who failed to achieve a point for Cambridge. He retook IB and got in again. :coffee:

no I mean medicine and law in UK is so competitive that you will not have any chance of getting in. Surely you can apply, but it is usually 'unsuccessful'.

But I know that one of my friends who did not get into Cambridge Econ. for not getting enough IB points did the whole process again, and got in. It is not paper reason, but something that your teacher would write on your recommendation.

You can retake exams.

For example if you didn't get the diploma because lets say your HLs didn't add up to 12, then you can retake an exam and get the diploma. I think you can retake it even if you got the diploma, but I haven't heard about those cases much. It is usually when you are so close to getting the diploma, you just retake one subject.

@Peachez and mimii

You can retake ANY subject that you want to do again, and those can be multiple. It can be either to improve your diploma points, or to get your diploma.

also, you can certainly do your EE and TOK again. In case of EE, unless you are doing it after accused of plagiarism, you can just improve the contents and send it again.

i'm well aware that i can retake exams, but i mean uk unis want pretty high scores, since i messed up and got a blackout i'm thinking of a retake.. but not sure hpw the unis will perceive me

well, I mean obviously if you were predicted 40 ish and got like 38~39 and missed your offer by 1 point, you have decent chance of getting in again as long as your recommendation and PS explains very well. Plus if your subject is something about Social studies, you can do some voluntary things/ jobs to catch up with your strength of application, and if you are a science student, you can attend open university.

So of course you will have some disadvantage. But as long as you do something that you can compensate with, and put them in PS and what not, you will be definitely fine. My cambridge friend went into Cambridge by Open University grade and IB scores combined.

HOWEVER, if you did mess up and 'did not get a diploma' because of that, retake for diploma will definitely give you some damage on your application, and it will be quite huge.

Slightly off-topic, but I do know somebody who's retaking and has an offer for medical school in the UK (:

They do tend to ask for higher total point scores than normal with retakes; and I'm sure it's not common to be offered places on competitive courses!

The only hassle of retaking is financial. Having to pay to sit the exam again, and of course sometimes the centre will insist you also pay them for lessons or they won't enter you. Crazy stuff. A bit of commuting to find a centre which behaves decently may be required. I know my school wanted you to pay them more money... hah. As if you would pay again for the same education which landed you in a retakes position!