Should i take IB?

purplespark22

Hey. Alright, so i've lived in Canada for 12 years, but i moved to Denmark almost three years ago. I absolutely love it here, i don't want to leave ;). Anyhow, i took MYP3&4 but instead of doing MYP5 i took the first year of the three year Danish high school which is called Gymnasium. My mother is Danish and has always spoken Danish to me; however, i only learned how to read and write it, when i moved to Denmark. So this year has definitely been a challenge for me, but i am getting pretty decent marks. The thing is, if i were to go into IB, it would be next year and I'm completely undecided.

When i am finished with school, i would really like to work in the UN with something pertaining to law.

The Danish Gymnasium works like this. You have different classes on different levels, per say. A, B or C. C means you have the subject for one year, B means you have it for two years and A means you have it for all three years.

This is how my subjects look like now (i'm not going to put all of them in, just the relevant ones)

Math C

Samfundsfag (it's like social, civics, something like that) C

English A

Spanish A

French A

History A

Danish A

Bio B

Physics C

Chemistry C

The idea of staying in Copenhagen and doing University really appeals to me. However, i've always imagined myself doing IB, and i was really looking forward to the challenge it presented .

If i took IB, my subjects would look like this

History HL

Danish HL

English HL

Math SL

Bio SL

Psych SL

which would be kind of a downside because i would lose both French and Spanish, and i really love languages, including English. I am VERY good at English and i have been told by numerous teachers that i could get a six or a seven in English HL A1. So that would be the downside of taking the Danish Gymnasium. Another downside would be that i would be finished with Math this year. Only i am thinking that i don't really NEED English HL A1, or Math with the line of work i want to work in. But since i am not AMAZING at Danish, i am finding History very hard, but my school says i can most certainly get a tutor, and it should be no problem for me to get my mark up...

So i really don't know which to pick, and i was just wondering if you guys had any input on what you think i should do...

Thanks in advance :D

If you really want to stay in Copenhagen, do the course that'll enable you easier access into a Danish University. The IB makes it very hard for some students to get into university in some parts of the world. Not doing IB isn't the end of the world, you can supplement the Danish Gymnasium with meaningful extra-curricular activities that you'd do in the IB.

Why do your Danish skills interfere with your ability to learn History? Are the classes in Danish? The exams will be in English.

Lastly, there are a bunch of other threads that talk about the IB Workload as well as the difficulty of IB.

If you really want to stay in Copenhagen, do the course that'll enable you easier access into a Danish University. The IB makes it very hard for some students to get into university in some parts of the world. Not doing IB isn't the end of the world, you can supplement the Danish Gymnasium with meaningful extra-curricular activities that you'd do in the IB.

Why do your Danish skills interfere with your ability to learn History? Are the classes in Danish? The exams will be in English.

Lastly, there are a bunch of other threads that talk about the IB Workload as well as the difficulty of IB.

Yes classes in the Danish Gymnasium are in Danish, which is why it is a bit difficult for me. And no, the exams will be in Danish...

I'm also not worried about the IB workload, i am very focused, dilligent and smart, and i truly believe i can handle the IB.

Purlple the Danish system is very similar to the Swedish one if not the same. In Sweden getting into University for some degrees is really hard with IB. IE for me I can't apply to 'läkarprogrammet' (medecine) because you need Physics, BIology and Chemistry.I recommend you checkout the universities and check their 'behov' and 'behörighet' which are the requirements. If IB fits into that then IB if not do the Dansk gymnasieprogram. Note that Bachelor degrees in Denmark are in Danish and only at master level does it change to English.

Your IB subjects seem really balanced and enjoyable. Are you going to do Danish B? If you are it will be a joke for you, so I suggest you do A2 if the level of Danish means something to you.

Yes classes in the Danish Gymnasium are in Danish, which is why it is a bit difficult for me. And no, the exams will be in Danish...

I'm also not worried about the IB workload, i am very focused, dilligent and smart, and i truly believe i can handle the IB.

IB examinations which aren't specifically language exams will be in either English, Spanish or French, the three official languages of the IB. So your history exam won't be in Danish (if you take IB History, I mean), it'll be in one of those three languages. In your case, this is presumably going to be English :blink:

I personally wouldn't take the IB unless doing the normal system would disadvantage you somehow or limit your options. I regret doing the IB instead of the normal system in my country -- Universities understand and appreciate the normal system more, and teachers are better at delivering it, as a rule. In the case of the UK the normal system is also less broad and therefore easier, with much more flexible subject choices. If the IB doesn't add anything to your prospects re: University, I don't think it's worth doing. It's not about being able to handle the IB as much as that there's no point in working very hard - harder than you would've done otherwise - for nothing. IMO, anyway.

I completely agree with Sandwich. Based upon my experience universities don't necessarily look upon you any more favourably if you take IB. It sounds good on paper, perhaps, but your academic enrichment and the pursuit of your passions means more. You should take IB if you genuinly want to, if you think you will enjoy it and if it will aid in your future pursuits. I made the mistake of taking full IB, and took it in subjects I struggled in and this only served to destroy my confidence. Whether you COULD get a 6 or 7, isn't truly relevant- you should do something if you enjoy it, not because others coerce you into it through promises of what could be.