To IB, or not to IB

Alison

Hi! I'm new on here, my name is Ali. I am thinking about going full IB, but I'm not sure yet, and i have some questions. Can you take ToK only senior year? I'm not very good at memorizing dates and stuff, is there a history class that does do that? How hard is music IB (im in band)? I am an average student. I have been in challenge/honors classes my whole life, and i usually get B's A' and C's. I am motivated and i usually am a great test taker. Im a sophomore.

the bottom line, should i do the full IB? i have to declare tomorrow.

• Like 1

I think you should take it, overall it's a good experience. In terms of History that's a subject you don't have to take at all (in most schools) although a first language (usually English), Math and at least one science are all compulsory.

But yeah if you're well motivated and have good time management skills (and if you aren't - you will be) you should definitely go for it!

yeah my class schedule for next year (at least what i signed up for)

-History of americas SL

-Biology HL

-World Lit HL

-Elementary analysis (pre calc)

-German 3 IB

-Band, Music HL

I want to take math studies, but for some reason it is only available for seniors at my school ?, but the requirements are to pass the class that i am in currently (alg2) so i might have to talk to my counselor about that. I don't know if i want to take music HL, im a pretty avid musician but im not sure what i would be getting myself into.

Thanks Aron! i think i might go for it!

Biology is a lot of memorizing so avoid if you don't like that kind of stuff.

Regarding music HL it is EXTREMELY difficult. I know people who are great singers/performers etc that sign up for it thinking that they're gonna breeze through it but they are very very wrong. A huge component is composition and you need to know/understand so much. From what I understand, unless you effectively grew up with music theory and are very well versed in different eras of music etc it will be difficult for you. If you're okay with that then take it anyway and be prepared to work your ass off!

yeah my class schedule for next year (at least what i signed up for)

-History of americas SL

-Biology HL

-World Lit HL

-Elementary analysis (pre calc)

-German 3 IB

-Band, Music HL

I want to take math studies, but for some reason it is only available for seniors at my school ?, but the requirements are to pass the class that i am in currently (alg2) so i might have to talk to my counselor about that. I don't know if i want to take music HL, im a pretty avid musician but im not sure what i would be getting myself into.

Thanks Aron! i think i might go for it!

??? you are not doing full IB considering that you are doing elementary analysis?? (or are you refering to Maths SL or Maths Studies?)

others would be fine but Music is really really difficult. A bit of the talent (in terms of listening music, recognizing keys) is needed and it is better if you are familiar with classical music. (even though sometimes they put random stuffs on their exam. Last year, Jimi Handrix was on the exam and many people expect there will be some Michael Jackson stuffs in the exam :'))

If you are good at

1. listening and recognizing keys

2. good at your instrument

3. good at playing with chords/keys

you will enjoy it. Otherwise it is a pain.