UK vs Canada?=/

Teddy_The_Bear

Hey

Well, I'm sort of in a dilemma here and I'd like to see what choice you would make if you were in my spot...

Basically, I got an acceptance from UBC a few days ago and I've gotten conditional offers for Newcastle,Birmingham and Leicester...

Now the problem is, it seems like my closest friends are in the UK or just Europe in general...yet passing up UBC seems like a waste to me...

So my question is...what would you chose?=/

I would choose the school that had the best program for what I want to do, the right "fit" (aka I like the school campus/community, could see myself being there for at least the next 4 years etc), and if the schools were equal for the first 2, then cost.

You will make lots of new friends in university, don't worry about sticking with your high school friends.

Oh god DO NOT go to a university because your high school friends will be near there. If anything, that should be a deterrence. But yes, I agree with the above poster. Go wherever the program that fits you is better. If you believe they are equally good then think about the prices vs the location. Imho, I would pick Canada just cause I think its a nicer place. But this decision should be about you and not anybody else. Do a lot of research and think about where you'll be happier at.

I would go for UBC, it seems like a better place than Newcastle, birmingham or leicester :P

Hey

Well, I'm sort of in a dilemma here and I'd like to see what choice you would make if you were in my spot...

Basically, I got an acceptance from UBC a few days ago and I've gotten conditional offers for Newcastle,Birmingham and Leicester...

Now the problem is, it seems like my closest friends are in the UK or just Europe in general...yet passing up UBC seems like a waste to me...

So my question is...what would you chose?=/

One of my friends had virtually the same situation as you last year (UBC versus UK Unis, anyway) and ended up going to UBC. She reckons it's amazing and I do envy the way you can switch courses around to suit what you want to do. Apparently there're quite a lot of Brits/international students there and she says the city and people are fantastic. Plus they have serious love issues for IB people when it comes to giving out scholarships and offering very low grades, whereas in the UK you get no bonuses and no leniency with the grades. So that's a pro :P Money is good as a student. Trust me, when you go to Uni, as everybody else has said, you don't need to be near your friends. Sure for the first few weeks you'll wish you were, but you'll eventually get on with your own life. The friends who go to Uni near me I used to see quite a lot when I first went, gradually less and less and now we only really meet up when we're back home! You don't imagine it, but that's just how it works.

Birmingham isn't that bad (it's not a lovely place but it's a good Uni) and the same goes for Newcastle. Leicester is a bit of a smaller University and if it were me, I'd go for one of the two larger ones. Ultimately I'd opt for whatever is going to give you the best experience and career options. Don't go with what your friends are doing -- everybody evens out and stays good mates even if they're not nearby each other.

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds good, they wont even be in the same city as me so I suppose I'll only get to see them every now and then...theres always time in the future:D. I guess in terms of getting a job and stuff, graduating out of UBC would probably be the best idea right? I hear the city is nice and everything...sounds like better conditions than in the UK.