Univerisity of Tokyo

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the University of Tokyo?

I will soon be an norwegian IB freshman. With little knowledge of the Japanese language. How long and what will be required to obtain a sufficent mastery of the language? How does the university look upon the IB diploma, what grades will be neccesary to be accepted?

• 1 month later...

to attend University of Tokyo, you are GOING to have to know japanese at college level. there no english courses offered at the undergraduate school. if you want to go to japan for university, you should look at the following schools:

Waseda University School of International Liberal Studies

International Christian University

Keio University SFC

Sophia University

you can apply to all of these universities by sending in documents and the courses offered there are in english. good luck.

• 3 months later...

If you would like to apply for Tokyo University, it is necessary for you to take the EJU exam in either the June and November session, which is a standard guideline exam for Japanese university to evaluate whether your Japanese proficiency is sufficient for college education in Japanese.

An IB diploma is sufficient for fulfilling the requirement for university entry, however an official result of your EJU exam must be submitted along with your application in order for them to consider it.

Anyway, I can barely understand Japanese and I can't write essays. Gaah.

In my opinion, in order to be able to master the Japanese language at college level, it will probably take you at least a good 2-4 years of intensive studying in reading, writing and listening, depending on your previous experience with the language.

Well, Good luck! I am planning to apply for Toudai too!

Edited by imopotato

All members are right about the Japanese proficiency requirement. If you really like Japan, I personally think an exchange year will be a great experience. I have a friend who was accepted to Uni of Tokyo but she would have to complete Japanese courses to reach a certain level first. Honestly, I can't see myself learning a completely new language to write a decent dissertation although I'm going to Minor in Chinese. So yes, think twice!

Edited by Aquarius

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of studying at Todai, University of Tokyo, and the two courses listed above are going to be taught

full in English. I've asked them about Japanese proficiency and here's what they've told me:

"Japanese knowledge is not required for admission for these courses

while it is mandatory once students begin to study with us."

Hope this helps =)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There is a new international undergraduate program called PEAK and I am planning to go for that program. However, I don't know the minimum IB requirement for going to Todai. Can anyone please tell me the minimum mark??

BTW: (I'm Japanese but I've been taught in English for the past 10 years) For those students who have been taking classes in english for 6 years are not in need of taking TOEFL....something like that

Edited by bulareo