novel ideas

ivanthegiant

i used to hate writng, now i tend to enjoy writing as long as i choose the topic. i have written 3 books (or at least tried). the thing is that i have dreams that are perfect for books. currently i have had 2 dreams that wer perfect for books and i have started writng one book but i am also plotting out the 2nd. here is what i got so far

it involves Prince Fibonacci Giovanni Mussolini the 3rd of Morsael who escaped a military coup when he was 6 with his parents and is raised in new york city as an upper class citizen. he is 17 and his parents tell him of a arranged marriage that had been arranged for him and a princess from Terravida, Princess Roxanne Severo. the book will consist of love, betrayal, espionage, and the trials of modern day royalty.

the second one i dreamed quite a while ago but i thought would make a great book, i was just to afraid to even think about it.

Adrian Gray is called to italy to assist his Uncle Raffaello who suffers from a severe new kyphosis called Quasimodo's disease (due to its severality)and is around 65. Adrian has never seen his uncle before and all he knows about him is that he is a painter. when he meets him his art students are working on a portrait in a cathedrale and they point him out as the man in the wheelchair. his legs are very frail but his arms are massive. one of the students messes up and Uncle Raffaello flips out and smashes a can of paint amongst the wall and the course of the book involves Adrian and Uncle Raffaello working on the paining. there will be a love interest but im not sure what the names or relation will be. maybe a art student under him. possibly with postural kyphosis. at some point in the book, adrian's brother goes to italy to find adrian for some reason and his brother will be in a fatal accident. adrian will hear of an accident thinking it is his uncle but will realize it was his brother and his uncle donated his heart to the younger brother and sacrificed himself.

tell me what you guys think? what novels are you guys writing?

Guest saturday

I want to write a novel too! I like writing in general, and while I sometimes (still) write fanfiction, I usually write my own stuff these days. I've got a few ideas, but they always seem to come to a stand still after awhile or I just lose interest in them, so I guess I'm waiting for inspiration to really take hold.

I've been thinking about chick-lit though, it seems fun if you can do it right. I was just thinking more along the lines of taking chick-lit and instead of writing it with usual sort of upper class characters, I was thinking about adding drugs, parties, excessive alcohol intake and criminal activities and general life fails to the mix. The story will centre on a few main characters, and they will all fit the "I fail at life" category.

I think I'll probably fail at writing the book though. Although if I can make it interesting enough, maybe it will hold my interests. Oh yeah, and then the small fact that I made a bet with my friend that I can write a full novel (60,000 words) by the end of IB (2 years) should probably be taken into consideration. FML

I'm not working on a novel exactly, but more like... a creation of a city, with a new type of government/system... heavily influenced by The Rise of the Meritocracy :coffee: (an awesome book). I've written down bits and pieces concerning the city's structure, its education system (I love rewriting this over and over again), its government and its elections, its economy etc. I would love to write a story based on this fantasy one day, but I don't have many ideas; most seem rather forced. I'm more interested in the theories concerning the city (influenced by various dystopian novels, and one utopian one [island]) than any actual plot lines concerning characters themselves... This is like how I prefer Sociology over Psychology.

ivanthegiant, I think your first plot is a little, well - I've seen some other books that are follow similar plot lines, but then again, many books have similar plot lines, and yet some are far better than others. Your second plot sounds quite interesting, but what would be the main strand connecting all threads in the story? You seem to have many sub-plots... is there any main one in particular, any most important problem around which all other plots revolve? Of course, you don't have to have one: just wondering, is all.

Edited by Caustica

• 2 weeks later...

i like the on you have saturday. it needs to be writtten.

Causica, thanks for the constructive criticism. :bawling: Like i said, im not really sure how its going to work, but i still want to write it. the book should have a little more structure. but the main plot will be the relationship between adrian and his uncle, altuism, and dealing with disease. i just like to add a little distraction

• 8 months later...

Those ideas sound good, best of luck writing them!

I'd like to write books about all kinds of different things but sadly [becasue of ib] i have no time. I do get lots of ideas though. So far I've only been able to write the ideas down not think about them in depth so much yet.
In the future hopefully.

I think you should listen to Death Cab for Cutie songs. They have just absolutely genius lyrics- they certainly inspire me.

Off the top of my head

"And you can't even begin to know
How many times I've told myself "I told you so"

"She holds a smile
Like someone would hold
A crying child"

"And I'll sit and wonder
Of every love that could've been.
If I'd only thought of something charming to say."

And these are just small fragments taken out of context, the over all themes of their songs are even more brilliant. "The Sound of Settling" is about giving up your hopes and dreams and regretting missed opportunities. "What Sarah Said" is about watching people you love die, and how that is what love truly is. "Title and Registration" uses glove compartments as an extended metaphor for the metaphysical definition of the "heart". Though these are just how I interpret these songs.

My favourite: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZUV9IBEXY]Grapevine Fires[/url]

Edited by Grumps

I like your idea.
If you need more writing help you should go talk to the Writing Junkie at [url="http:// the-writing-junkie.blogspot.com"]this site[/url] lolz ^_^
I write stories as well. I finished my first novel a year ago and am still seeking an agent.

Oh and to be more specific I like your first idea. It's something that many people would read. the second one confuses me @_@