I'm taking Chemistry, Physics and Biology this year...

fuzzyg101

Classes  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which to take HL...

• Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Biology

Someone said that there is little difference between HL chem and SL chem doesn't know wat they are talking about. I think that chem SL is one of the easiest subjects in IB, where Chem HL is one of the hardest. There is almost double to learn, and it is way more difficult stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Man what tards!! Why would you take all three? you are limiting yourself so much, not to mention HLPhys and HLChem are by far the hardest courses in the IB. I mean most universities don't even require a specfic science as long as you took one. Why not take Econ,History, Geo,or theatre ettc. instead of all three sciences?

Someone said that there is little difference between HL chem and SL chem doesn't know wat they are talking about. I think that chem SL is one of the easiest subjects in IB, where Chem HL is one of the hardest. There is almost double to learn, and it is way more difficult stuff.
-Bandev

I second that because i found out the hard way in chem HL ( by initially thinking its not gonna be that difficult, then failing some tests :) )

Hey, I have a question, for my school no one is allowed to take Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. Is this my school only, or is it for everybody in general.

Hey, I have a question, for my school no one is allowed to take Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. Is this my school only, or is it for everybody in general.

Most schools do not allow this, especially if the candidate only wishes to study 6 subjects. In some special cases (not in all countries), it is possible to do 3 sciences (Phy, Che, Bio) if the candidate wishes to study at a medical school that requires all of these subjects. In my class there are 5 people doing this, as they want to go to medical school after IB and in Finland you need all 3 sciences to do that. In this case, you need to apply for a non-regulatory diploma from IBO.

In my opinion Chem HL is much easier than physics HL. Chemistry questions are more straightforward. Chemistry just takes a little bit of understanding and there are some small things to remember whereas in physics everything is related.You forget something from one part you could potentially mess up everything.

Most schools do not allow this, especially if the candidate only wishes to study 6 subjects. In some special cases (not in all countries), it is possible to do 3 sciences (Phy, Che, Bio) if the candidate wishes to study at a medical school that requires all of these subjects. In my class there are 5 people doing this, as they want to go to medical school after IB and in Finland you need all 3 sciences to do that. In this case, you need to apply for a non-regulatory diploma from IBO.

Ohhhhh i see. Im taking Chem HL and Physics SL, so if i want to go to Med school id have to take Biology in summerschool or something?

In my opinion Chem HL is much easier than physics HL. Chemistry questions are more straightforward. Chemistry just takes a little bit of understanding and there are some small things to remember whereas in physics everything is related.You forget something from one part you could potentially mess up everything.

You guys have Physics HL?? my school doesnt offer Physics HL because my teacher told me its wayy to hard

Physics HL is not all that different from SL, the HL test includes most of the SL paper 2. However, the multiple choice are trickier and the options are harder. However, the SL exam is not easy.

Chem SL is basic, and from looking through the Chem book, the HL exam covers almost twice as much material.

Bio SL is easier, as many have said, because it is all memorization. The SL exam was not that hard and there did not look to be much extra material in the HL sections of the book. I think that the AP class actually included more material than even the HL exam.

However, your strengths, likes and dislikes are the most important consideration and teachers come a close second.

I chose HL physics and SL chem and SL bio. (the chem is a 7th subject just for me)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking all three, but it really depends on the teachers more than the subject to me. My chemistry teacher is horrible so I have to learn a lot of stuff on my own. If I could go back I would take SL, but it's too late now. Still, I find history harder than all three sciences combined, so it really depends on the teacher and you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, first off, what do you plan to do as a profession? I you're going in to the Medical field, I'd suggest HL Chemistry and Biology, and SL Physics (if you want to). If you're going into Engineering, I'd suggest Chemistry and Physics at HL. If you're not sure what you want to do, but that you want to do into the Sciences, I'd say do Chemistry HL and either Physics or Biology SL. If not sure whether you want to go into Science, do Chemistry SL. Just my opinion. In the end, it’s up to what interests you the most. I chose Chemistry as a constant because it seems to be a mix of the skills required for both Physics and Biology. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...