Course Choices?... Is four HL's too much?

blacko

Alright, so here's the deal. Today in my school, out teachers wrote us recommendations for our IB subjects. I originally wanted French SL and Music HL as two courses, but IB Music is not being offered next year. For French (B), there is no choice, and I have to do HL (our coordinator said she won't put me in SL- saying it's too easy.) So, is the following course combination too demanding?

HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry (Instead of Music), and French B

SL: English A1, History

Note: I currently am doing well, but would like to see the opinions of people already in the IB. Replies would be appreciated :)

For heaven's sake drop Maths or Physics to standard and do History HL instead. 4 HLs is doable if you have an easy 4th subject like a B language which is applicable in your case. If you feel you can do it, then do it but don't do that subject combination unless you're absolutely convinced.

I am doing 4 HLs, and I find that it is only possible because one is Visual Arts .. However I do regret that I have to take Chemistry paper 1 and 2 plus history paper 3 on the same day for the exams...

At least it was possible for me to change between HLs in the first semester, I had Math HL, Chem SL and His SL before. Math HL was just way too hard for me!

Btw if you hadn't counted on taking chemistry, then why don't you take that as SL?

I am doing 4 HLs, and I find that it is only possible because one is Visual Arts .. However I do regret that I have to take Chemistry paper 1 and 2 plus history paper 3 on the same day for the exams...

At least it was possible for me to change between HLs in the first semester, I had Math HL, Chem SL and His SL before. Math HL was just way too hard for me!

Btw if you hadn't counted on taking chemistry, then why don't you take that as SL?

Well I'm just weighing my options. Chemistry SL isn't a bad idea, but I was thinking since I already have to do two sciences I might as well just go the whole way and also take Chemistry HL if there isn't much difference. But it seems that there is, so I'll see what happens

HL Physics, Maths and Chemistry is the hardest possible combination of subjects you can take at HL. I personally wouldn't suggest you did it as a combination unless you desperately need all three at HL in order to qualify for your chosen University course, let alone alongside another HL. HL languages (especially for B) are easy, but doing anything extra alongside those HLs is crazy, IMO.

Especially with History at SL (time-consuming!) I really wouldn't suggest you do that subject combination. IB is a genuinely hard course and hardly anybody in the world gets 45 (when compared with the number who take it!). So even if you're doing well now, you shouldn't overload yourself because I honestly think you'll regret it! :D

My god. That looks incredibly difficult. At least you have the option of dropping one of them to SL, though. So you could start the year with them and get a feel of what the courses are like and who the teachers are, then drop one.

... or do you have to take four at HL? Then wow. Maybe you should take Visual Arts or something; they don't even have exams (just a portfolio they work on throughout the year, which I think will take a lot of stress off exam week!)

Guest saturday

I have four HLs, and I have to drop one of them, my school's IB coordinator basically demands it. I only took them so I will actually get a choice in what I drop, so I don't have to like switch classes or something. I've got English A1 HL (which I'm looking forward to, it sounds really interesting and we get to read), Psychology HL, History HL and Finnish B HL. I'm a humanities person, I'm not a huge fan of either Math or the Sciences, hence I have Math Studies and Biology SL. I'm dropping Finnish B back to SL though, I only had to take it because my Pre-IB psychology grade wasn't enough to take the course at HL, so I got told that I have to take a fourth HL, in case I can't get a good enough grade to continue Psychology at HL.

From what I've heard though, four HLs are a lot and most of the IBs in my school suffer over them. So I'm guessing it's not all that recommended. Having said that, if you think you can do them and get good grades, go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

No offence, but it's plain stupid to do that.

Take whatever courses you think is crucial for your uni course, and nothing more. At the end of the day, no ones going to care what super hard courses you did, but only the grades you got for them. So it's just mislaid arrogance and ambition on your side. IB as it is is hard enough. Why stress yourself more?

I should know, I'm doing my IB exams in less than a month.

• Like 1

No offence, but it's plain stupid to do that.

Take whatever courses you think is crucial for your uni course, and nothing more. At the end of the day, no ones going to care what super hard courses you did, but only the grades you got for them.

I should know, I'm doing my IB exams in less than a month.

Yeah, I now absolutely realize this, so, as I said above, I'm dropping the Chemistry to SL- which is pretty much the best that can be done seeing as how Math and Physics HL are crucial and Chemistry is not. I was just weighing my options. It would be suicide to take four HL's, with such hard choices.

And thanks to everybody for the feedback

Chemistry at SL is really easy so enjoy =)

haha, I'm taking five HL's =) It is a pain sometimes.

Woah how does that work out? I thought the maximum number of HL's you can take is 4. Are you just doing IB certificate courses and not the whole diploma?

Chemistry at SL is really easy so enjoy =)

haha, I'm taking five HL's =) It is a pain sometimes.

Woah how does that work out? I thought the maximum number of HL's you can take is 4. Are you just doing IB certificate courses and not the whole diploma?

I will drop one to SL at the very last moment :P (the one I get predicted lowest for/need least)

But yes, you can't get a diploma with 5 HL's :wub:

I guess you are a very scienc-y person. I would say go for it.

I mean, why not? As long as your Maths HL catch up, Physics and chemistry should not be as difficult as many other people in this forum think. You will definitely enjoy (as long as your teachers are nice!) both sciences. But if you want to drop your chem into SL, it becomes very dull and non-mathematical, yet easy.

Personally, Mathematical part of chemistry is my strength so I didn't want to go to Chem SL, so I kept my chem HL, did Maths a year earlier, and doing further Maths as well as HL physics. Labs are crazy though and you will be very busy with writing labs (and achieving good marks!).

If you were to do Engineering in the future, chem HL will help (unless you are doing really strict physical engineering such as mechanical, civil, etc) both on your application and your university life.

French B HL is relatively the same as French B SL. So no worries on that.

What I am worrying about is the existence of History SL. History, regardless of your level, requires lots of work and time. If you were to do Maths, Physics, Chem, AND history, that will be really really tough.

consider my suggestions and just think what would suit you the best.