#3: "Doubt is the key to knowledge" (Persian Proverb). To what extent is this true in two areas of knowledge?

nour918

Hi, I have the deadline of my draft of tok essay in this week, and I need some help of what can I put in it, I have chosen the question number 3, but I don't know what to put can somebody pleasee help meeee because I am not that good at making good essays :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Im doing the same topic and I'd like to know if anyone thinks that 'Doubt does not ALWAYS lead to knowledge'. Isn't it possible that sometimes doubt simply doesn't lead to any kind of truth/justified belief?

If anyone thinks this is possible, can you give me any kind of examples where doubt does NOT lead to knowledge? Please, I've racked my brains in vain on this part! :)

Sure, I agree that doubt doesn't always lead to knowledge. Most of the time, I don't think it leads to knowledge, but sometimes it does.

People second guess themselves all the time, and often the first instinct is correct [on tests and the like] but then we overanalyze and pick the wrong answer because we doubted the first one.

You don't need historical examples--use examples from your personal life.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to talk about Descarte's method of doubt, but i'm not sure which areas of knowledge I should talk about. I was thinking Philosophy. But I don't know what other area of knowledge I can talk about in relation to descarte's method of doubt. My teacher said that philosophy and religion are way too similar, so I need to find another. Also, how could I structure the essay?

Can anyone help me, I'm in need!

Thanksss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble brainstorming for this topic at the moment!

Is doubt always on an emotional level? Like would you say doubt is only intuitive? Or would you say there are other forms of doubt?

Edited by sweetnsimple786
No textspeak, please.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, well im doing this topic as well, and i think after reading all your wonderful posts, i have decided on Natural sciences and Ethics, more specifically religion. However im writing my plan now, and im just a bit confused as to what should go in my paragraphs. My first paragraph im thinking should be ' what is doubt, and maybe why doubt is needed in general.. i was thinking of making my second paragraph solely about science and how doubt has been apart of that ( using the atom as an example ), and as for my third paragraph i would talk about ethics, do i integrate my ways on knowing in my paragraphs or do i make paragraph 5 all about reason and perception and there role in knowledge... or am i going completely off track here? i am so lost, help please! and when they say use personal examples, what do they mean exactly?

I am also doing this topic and have decided to have science and religion as my areas of knowledge. I think I have a pretty good understanding of doubt and its role in science but I am having trouble with religion. Religion is mostly about believing and not doubting so doubt would not be the key to knowledge, however, does anyone have any ideas of counterclaims to this, that you in fact CAN gain knowledge in religion through doubting?