Paper 2 - Single-Party States - Focus only on the rise two dictators?

ephika

After looking through some past history papers I realized that there is always one question relating in some way to the rise of either one or two dictators. Therefore, shouldn't you be able to say whatever to all the foreign and domestic policies of dictators and only focus on their rise to power instead? Shouldn't it be possible to only study the rise to power of say Hitler and Castro for Single-Party States since there will, as far as I know, always be a question on the rise of one or two dictators?

Yes, technically you should be able to just focus on the rise to power, but you will never know who they will ask you. They might just ask you about Hitler's rise, or otherwise ask you to compare two dictators - and that can be any number of combination: Hitler vs Stalin, Hitler vs Castro, Hitler vs Mao etc... So no, you can't just bank on knowing Hitler and Castro's rise to power and think that you will be prepared.

However, their policies would also help you vastly in other parts of the paper, and even more if you do HL and have to do paper 3. Or you might just end up not liking the rise to power question (trust me, it happens, more like to happen when you've banked on that exact question) so I think you should just cover your bases and at least glance at the policies.

• 2 months later...

a lot of the questions about the dictators involve the regions, which sort of limit your choices. Depending on what you studied in class, you could be asked to compare two dictators in the same region, or different regions, of even compare two from the same end of the political spectrum. Judging the odds can be pretty tough, and risky. better to focus on two but still learn another one or two just in case