Wide Sargasso Sea

hannah.mb

Hey all,

This is a topic dedicated to the book Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys.

I read it last year for my English A1 (HL) course, and I fell in love with it.

Feel free to discuss, ask questions, ask for help, or comment on the book, or on the author. You can also share quotes that you like from the book, or that you think are important in any way.

To start it off, here is my favorite quote:

'I sit at my window and the words fly past me like birds- with God's help I catch some' -Daniel Cosway

Puh, this book did give me a lot of work! I first read it in October last year and then wrote my coursework on it (comparison between love and hatred in wide sargasso sea and romeo and juliet). I didn't think much about it back then, was just glad to have it all done. At the beginning of this year I changed my mind though and changed my coursework - comparison between love and death in the two books. This meant that I had to go through it again and this time I really "got" it, the story and everything. I really enjoyed it. I love the psychology of it. It's really deep and you can feel so much empathy for the characters...

• 4 months later...

heyy

im doing my world literature on this book and on white castle. my topic is the use of translocation and have to talk about how antoinette's character develops when she moves from jamaica to england and how this translocation leads to her character development.

hope you can help me out with this topic.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked this (doing WSS and Jane Eyre for my extended essay), even though when I researched it a lot of people put it down as really well written fan fiction. It was hard to read, though: like Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, it is written really well but just is hard to read.

• 1 year later...

I find this book as one of the most tragic stories (from Antoinette's perspective) I've ever read!!! Since the begining of the novel (provided you read first Jane Eyre) you know how the story ends for her, and you just watch her struggle to find happiness and her desire to feel loved, but you know she's gonna end up locked up in an attic completely insane and stripped of everything she was...

And Mr. Rochester... I'm sooo glad he ends up blind and with one hand... maybe there is some divine justice after all. What he did to her is unforgivable!! All the sympathy I felt for him vanished after I read this book...

My favorite quote is "there are two deaths, the real one and the one people know about”

I just LOVE this book...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a love/hate relationship with WSS. I loved the storyline of the novel and how I could relate so much to it since the setting mainly takes place in the Caribbean. I think the use of folklore in it also fascinated me. The complex character of Antoinette also amused me but I hated how she devoted herself so much to such an apathetic and exploitative man. In fact, I don't think I liked any of the characters in the novel except Cristophine.

All in all, the plot of WSS and The Story of Zahra (highly recommend this :D ) has been the most intriguing one I've ever come to read!