Visual arts EE?

Guest li2

Hey guys! I'm natalia from Indonesia. I'm a year 11 IB student. This year,we,IB students,have to finish the EE and CAS, so when we're year 12, we just focus in the assessments and exams.

I wanna ask you guys, i choose visual arts for my EE and i wanna write about photography. Is it OK? coz i think it's difficult and NOW i'm confused. Coz i dunno how to write and talk bout it in 4000 words and what i'm going to talk about. Can you give me advice? :D

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first year in IB too, and I wanted to my extended essay in Visual Arts. The problem is, my teacher doesn't even understand half the things she's supposed to, so I was just wondering if I did the EE on, "How does context affect painting?" is that too broad?

Context can be just about anything, but if I narrowed it down to something like, "How does being a woman affect the way you paint?" is that still too general or is that just a bad topic? Would really appreciate some advice!

Edit: Typos. :sadnod:

Edited by Negin

This is my first year in IB too, and I wanted to my extended essay in Visual Arts. The problem is, my teacher doesn't even understand half the things she's supposed to, so I was just wondering if I did the EE on, "How does context affect painting?" is that too broad?

Context can be just about anything, but if I narrowed it down to something like, "How does being a woman affect the way you paint?" is that still too general or is that just a bad topic? Would really appreciate some advice!

Edit: Typos. :sadnod:

Yes, both titles are too broad.

"How does context affect painting?" is MUCH too broad. You'd probably run out of words just discussing context, and never get to the painting part.

"How does being a woman affect the way you paint?" on the other hand, can get you waffling, since there's affecting the way you paint than just your gender. That and the fact that it doesn't exactly sound academic.

I wanna ask you guys, i choose visual arts for my EE and i wanna write about photography. Is it OK? coz i think it's difficult and NOW i'm confused. Coz i dunno how to write and talk bout it in 4000 words and what i'm going to talk about. Can you give me advice?

What about photography?

I can't claim to know much about art EE but I know 1 person who did an art EE which got an A. She did a lot of extensive research, with interviews of other artists and photographic evidence of their work, etc. I think they'd want to see evidence of primary research or at least some practical work from you. At the moment, it sounds like your titles are based on secondary research only. If there's one thing the IB loves is: things that you do yourself (that's why science EE are usually experiments and Geog EE involves field work) and basing your work on the community in which you live/study - applying your knowledge to your own situation, not get information from dusty old books and regurgitate it. You want to focus your topic on things that you can gather information and research with the limited resources you have around you.

• 4 weeks later...
Since my last suggestion wasn't good at all, is it ok if I do the EE on how the portrayal of Women has changed after the 20th Century in Iran? Or is that still too broad? Any help or advice would be appreciated! :lol:

That sounds better than the first. However, the "how" makes it seems like a narrative essay (where you're describing how the changes take place) rather than an analytical essay. Also you need to make it relatively clear that it's a VA essay, which, looking at this current title you have, is not clear. You may want to rephrase the title to: Reasons for/Significance of the changes in the portrayal of women in Iran/Iranian art/painting/some genre of VA after the 20th century or To what extent where the changes in... a result of [some big reason], or something similar.

(I merged your new thread in here because I think it makes the discussion flow better. I had no idea what you were talking about when you said your last suggestion on first reading the thread...until I dug out your old posts. :P )