IB Diploma Students in Vancouver, BC

cixelsyD

My friend (Alykhan) and I (Laura) want to organize a dance for all IB diploma students in Vancouver. IB is an international program, but a lot of IB students havn't had the chance to meet IB students from other schools, even from their own city (at least that's the way my diploma class feels). It is for this reason we want to organize this dance.

As of right now, we are still in the planning stages. I've gotten consent from my IB coordinator and my school administration to host the dance, however we need help figuring out:

-the amount of people that will attend (i.e. interest levels)

-the price people are willing to pay to attend such a dance. (For prices, tickets will be cheap enough so that we will simply break even with the costs of preparation and the costs for the DJs and whatnot. If we get more money than we need, we will either split the leftover money in equal proportions and return it to the schools, or we will be donating the money.)

-when we will host it (we are thinking about either spring break, around feb or march, or in May, after exams are over)

If you guys can ask your classes for me and give me a rough estimate on these issues, that would be great.

Also, since it's an event for various different schools, my friend and I will need contacts (student liasons) from different schools. If you are interested in helping us plan this event, give me an e-mail address and I will e-mail you with a proposal once we've written it up and had the administration check it over. You can also e-mail me at [email protected] or send me a pm telling me you/your class or school is interested.

The event will most likely be held at my school -- we'll rent out the gym for a night. The information for my school is as follows:

Britannia Secondary School

1001 Cotton Drive

Vancouver, B.C. Canada

V5L 3T4

The name of my IB coordinator is Leo Biossy.

Feel free to post any comments/questions/concerns.

Hope to hear back from you guys.

-Laura Hu and Alykhan Kaba

[email protected] / [email protected]

The Proposal:

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THIS, SEND ME AN E-MAIL AT [email protected]!

GREATER-VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE DANCE PROPOSAL

Don’t you find it interesting how the International Baccalaureate is an International program, yet we barey know fellow-students in our own backyard?

Purpose:

• To establish new bonds between International Baccalaureate students from different schools in different parts of the city

• To share our experiences with students

• To broaden the perspective of International Baccalaureate students in Greater Vancouver

Current Plans:

• Event

o Inter-school Talent Show

o Dance

• Ticket Prices

o $10.00

o Gym D, Britannia Secondary School

• Expected Attendance

o 300-400 International Baccalaureate Diploma students ranging from grades 11-12

• Tentative Date

o February 7th or 8th (Subject to change)

 Note: February 8th is a provincial-wide Professional Development Day

• Approximate Timeline (on day of dance)

o 3:30 PM-4:30PM

 Setup

• Student Volunteers from Britannia Secondary School, Student Liaisons

o 4:30 PM-5:15 PM

 Dress Rehearsal for Talent Show

o 5:30 PM

 Doors open

o 6:00 PM

 Talent Show begins

o 7:00 PM

 Refreshments and Pizza

o 7:30 PM

 Dance begins

o 9:30 PM

 Wrap-up

o 10:00 PM

 Clean-up

• Student Volunteers from Britannia Secondary School

• Budget

o 250 attendants * $10.00 = $2500.00

o Note: 250 attendants will be the minimum expected attendance for this event to continue

 $1200.00 for DJ

 $600.00 for Security

 $300.00 for food and drinks

 $200.00 for possible renting fee

 $200.00 for Decorations, setup

• To-do

o Book Gym D

o Book DJ

o Book Security

o Obtain Supervision

 We currently have 4 Britannia school teachers willing to supervise the event

 Looking for one teacher supervisor for every 50 students attending

o Obtain Administrative Support

o Obtain support from International Baccalaureate Coordinators

 Appoint Student Liaisons (1-2 per school)

 Notify Britannia of the level of interest from their respective student bodies (approximate number of attendants from their schools)

 If the occurrence of this event is confirmed, the schools will also be responsible for selecting a group of students to represent their school at the talent show (if they wish to participate)

Student Liaisons:

• Responsibilities of Student Liaisons

o Promote the event

o Ticket sales

o Relaying information to respective student bodies

o Collecting money, forms, etc… from respective student bodies

o Obtaining comments, questions, concerns, etc… from respective student bodies

• Note: Great opportunity for CAS (Service) hours!

• Current voluntary liaisons

o Jasmine Leung (Churchill Secondary School)

o Laura Tammpere (Pacific Academy)

o Tasneem Jamal (Richmond Secondary School)

• Names, phone number and Email addresses of newly appointed student liaisons will be required

• Student liaisons are requested to attend 3-4 general meetings between November and March at Britannia Secondary School, However, if they are unable to make the meetings, we will send e-mails or make phone calls to update them on what we had discussed in the meetings.

o Meetings to…

 Discuss Ticket Sales

 Collecting money

 Obtaining and returning tickets to/from Britannia Secondary School

 FAQ, Comments, feedback…

 Debrief

 Etc…

The Talent Show:

• An opportunity for schools to demonstrate their individuality through…

o Dance performances

o Music Performances

o Skits

o Etc… Be Creative!

 Should be about 5 minutes long (10 minutes maximum)

• Note: Great opportunity for CAS (Creativity) hours!

• Schools that wish to participate in the talent show must submit a document to Britannia Secondary School containing the following information:

o Name(s) of participating student(s)

 Note: As long as the performance is reasonably organized, there is no maximum number of participating students

o Email address(es) of participating student(s)

o Description of performance

• Only 1 group can be sent from each school

• Participating students will be responsible for their own individual practices

• There will only be 2 dress-rehearsals at which all participating students will be asked to attend

o 1 week before the dance

o The day of the dance

• The Talent show is not mandatory but we encourage every school to participate.

At the moment, we are currently looking for support from the International Baccalaureate Coordinators across Greater Vancouver. Although we are very seriously considering hosting this event, it is essential for us to be aware of how many students would be interested in attending the event before we continue to pursue its planning. If you would be interested in seeing this event take place, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to find out if your students would be interested in attending such an event, and if so, approximately how many.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and participation!

Sincerely,

Alykhan Kaba

Laura Hu

Britannia Secondary School

1001 Cotton Drive

Vancouver, B.C. Canada

V5L 3T4

http://britannia.vsb.bc.ca/

IB Coordinator: Mr. L. Boissy

Britannia School Principal: Ms. B. Seed

IB_Diploma_dance_proposal.doc

Edited by Deus

Thanks a lot.

Can I get your actual name and school name as well? If it's ok with you, I'll put you down as student liaison for your school =)

Since you're so far away, I may give you a summary of all liaison meetings through e-mail so you don't have to travel all the way here.

• 3 weeks later...

We can still be the awesome vancouverites who rock at the arcade. :sadnod:

Maybe if we really have no life, we can have an IB study party... and then for university applications you can put "President of the IB Study Group".

Edit: Actually I just remembered that we DO have an IB study group at our school, and the president also happens to be a member of this forum. Oh well, more ideas? lol

Edited by Dooga