Studying in Sweden

Harmonicgirl

I would like to study in Sweden but in english. I've checked it and there is not so many courses in english and studying in swedish seems impossible to me. Do you know anything about studying in Sweden? Is it really necessary to be fluent in swedish?

I've heard that there are very good med schools in Sweden is it true???

Well, I am from Sweden but honestly, I know very little about the unis here since I'm not planning on studying here and haven't thus taken time to read about it.

However, I know that there are a great deal of international students who study in the university here. I know that it can be hard to find an undergraduate course fully in English but there are a few of them. Most English-courses are masters.

If you do study in Sweden, you will most likely also study Swedish on the side because it will be hard to avoid that language in your studies. As for medicine - I've heard it's good but its fiercely competitive (straight A's or at least 40 points in the IB, very good results on a university test and most also have interviews. You need all three sciences - biology, physics and chemistry. Plus math and everything else. At B which is SL.) and I know you must know some Swedish, especially for your clinical part. BUT there are several English-courses that are in the medical field eg; biomedicine.

I recommend that you go and visit this webpage as it has a lot of information. It will also take you to a couple of universities that has english-programmes but as I said, most of them are masters.

On the happier note, even if you're a international student, if you do get in, the tutition will always be free :D

Edited by Afterglow

If you're interested in doing med school in Scandinavia, you could come to Finland. It's possible to do the entrance exams in English, so AFAIK it's possible to do the whole med school completely in English. I can check this with a friend who just graduated and is applying there. Finnish med also demands bio, chem and phys; bio should be at HL, I think. SL math is ok, but you get bonus for HL math.

Finland is next to Sweden, in case you didn't know :rofl:

www.helsinki.fi is the Uni site, you should find the med school dept. there if you're interested :lol:

Edited by deissi

If you're interested in doing med school in Scandinavia, you could come to Finland.

I've never thought of Finland...maybe this would be a good idea:D yeah firstly I would have to visit Finland.

and yeah, I know where it is:)

For me what difficult in choosing uni is that later on it's probably that I will live there quite long time and that's a question...where I like to live;p?

Edited by Harmonicgirl

For me what difficult in choosing uni is that later on it's probably that I will live there quite long time and that's a question...where I like to live;p?

Well, Finland is really close to Sweden in culture too, so if you've been to Sweden and liked it, you probably will like Finland :heart: . But Helsinki is worth a visit even if you don't want to study here, but my advice is that you come here in the summer, in the winter it's dark and kinda dull compared to summer.

• 1 month later...

about unis in sweden...

They sure are good, and free(or, at least for those of us living here...), and most science courses seems to be taught in english(at least most course material is in english), it really is not IB-safe... As stated, for medicine, all three sciences are required. Also, in all attractive pogrammes, a national score of 20,0 is required. Swedish government does not have a lot of respect for IB, a ridiculously high score is required to get in. Also, strange swedish courses are required to apply to anything... But that is pretty much fixed by now, i think. All of those courses are covered(supposed to be covered, at least) by the six IB subjects.

(or, actually, i am not 100% sure about the last part... We had to take Historia A in pre-IB, because swedish unis require it... Though i don't think those who skipped pre-IB had to do that course on the side...)

whatever :P

Ok, thx :D

so probably I'll give up with the medicine in sweden^^

I knew that side it's really useful:) If I can ask you, why you don't want to study in Sweden? Or maybe would you dissuade it?

Because I want to travel and see the world :P I want to experience new things. That's one of my main reasons. The other reason is because I want to become a doctor and is basically screwed when it comes to studying it here in Sweden. You need a MINIMUM of 40 points, good test results of a special university test and then basically pure luck. Not to mention three sciences, which also means that I would need to read physics an extra year before even applying to med school. The bonus is of course that the program would be free and also in my own country. But naah, I want an international education. That's why I choose the IB in the first place :D

As stated, for medicine, all three sciences are required. Also, in all attractive pogrammes, a national score of 20,0 is required. Swedish government does not have a lot of respect for IB, a ridiculously high score is required to get in.

Yes, they changed the point equivalence last year. Before 20.0 (which is top grade in all subjects in the national program) used to be 38 and now it is 40. Med schools are very picky about this because there are tons of students with 20.0 who apply and don't get in.

We had to take Historia A in pre-IB, because swedish unis require it... Though i don't think those who skipped pre-IB had to do that course on the side...)

Actually, I heard that the only reason we did History A in pre-IB was because law programs required it and many students wanted to study law but now IB history...Could be wrong though :D

Actually, I heard that the only reason we did History A in pre-IB was because law programs required it and many students wanted to study law but now IB history...Could be wrong though :P

Probably right... I totally hated history... I totally hated pre-IB... god, swedish IB sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably right... I totally hated history... I totally hated pre-IB... god, swedish IB sucks.

It's the same in Finland... We had to do all sorts of stupid courses like religion and psychology in Pre-IB because we're doing IB... Not to mention that they regard a 7 in the IB to be an equal of a Laudatur (best grade) of the Finnish Matriculation system, but a 7 is a lot harder to achieve than a Laudatur which is basically a stroll in the park. And a 6 isn't Laudatur...

It's the same in Finland... We had to do all sorts of stupid courses like religion and psychology in Pre-IB because we're doing IB... Not to mention that they regard a 7 in the IB to be an equal of a Laudatur (best grade) of the Finnish Matriculation system, but a 7 is a lot harder to achieve than a Laudatur which is basically a stroll in the park. And a 6 isn't Laudatur...

That's the same thing in Sweden although here I THINK they regard a 6 as a MVG (top) which I think is folly. I mean for them 40 points is 20.0 (top grade in all subjects) and it's just no. 40 in the IB is a huge achivement. The difference between it is also that its harder to get awesome grades in the IB than in Sweden. The grading system is so different. You don't have final exams or so. Most of it depends on the teacher. It's the teacher that puts you final and it can be so unfair. Not to mention, you get your grades set throughout the years. You can do a test in one topic in for ex, biology and that's the only thing, before another topic and test comes up. And you get a heck a lot of stuff sometimes on tests (i've seen their math formulas sheet. omg). Compared to IB in which you need to memorise everything because the tests is on everything and you barely get anything that'd help you and the examiners don't know your real ability in classes and etc.

• 1 month later...
I would like to study in Sweden but in english. I've checked it and there is not so many courses in english and studying in swedish seems impossible to me. Do you know anything about studying in Sweden? Is it really necessary to be fluent in swedish?

I've heard that there are very good med schools in Sweden is it true???

Hi There!!

Well its ture there are not many Uni with English courses but there are some! I know lots pf people from Japan, China and USA who goes to KTH and Stockholms Uni and study economics, design, market etc.

Well, if u want to study some special courses then u must learn Swedish...

And med schools here in Sweden are good, depends on which one u go to :P

Karolinska Institutet in Stockholmis regarded as the best Medical School in Sweden and is often ranked top 10 in medicine in the world. As far as economics go, Handelshögskolan (Stockholm) in Sweden is the most attractive one, and for engineering i believe it is KTH (Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan, Stockholm) and Chalmers (Gothenburg). However, I think Uppsala University has the best overall rank.

Grade averages:

Karolinska Institutet (Med): 20.0

Handelshögskolan (Business): 20.0

KTH (industrial engineering and other sorts of enginering): ~19

Chalmers (Architecture, engineering): ~19

Uppsala (Med): 20.0

The Grades:

In sweden you do different courses during 3 years of highschool, for each course you can get grades:

MVG: equivlant to an A, about 85% on a test.

VG: equivlant to B or a C, about 65-85% on a test.

G: equivland to D, 45-65%, about on a test.

IG: Fail

These are however only estimates, they can differ from teacher to teacher.

When you have finnished your 3 years of highschool, you will get an average grade.

An MVG = 20, VG = 15, G = 10, i dont really know if IG = 0 or 5. Depending on how many houres of each course you have taken, you will get a grade average on everything. So for example, if I took 2hrs of Math, where i got an MVG, and 1hr of Chemistry where i got VG, my grade average will be:

(2*20 + 15)/3 = 18.3

As you might have understood by now, 20.0 means MVG in all subjects during 3 full years.