What do you do when you have no life?: Watch Asian TV dramas!

Soy

I think Dooga's To be or not to be thread has been moved about 5 times. Originally from Languages I moved it to Gen IB then I didn't think it fitted, after which it got moved to GD. Then it got chatty so I finally moved it to Chat. I think it's fine here now.

And since it kind of fits with the Free time thread...I merged them. A bit sceptical about the merge but I think it's all right...

Anyway, when I have free time (or no life...kind of the same thing - i.e. free time that isn't spent with friends i.e. having a life...), aside from wasting time on forums, I write. See Writers thread for what I write. Or alternatively I also write when I don't have free time (see Rant thread, page 3 :D ) which is a much worst scenario than having free time and no life. :)

Writing is still my passion. And reading. :)

Or I have days in the vacation when I just watch Chinese dramas. Non-stop. :D Actually it's my plan for the summer, to watch this one drama in full. I don't have time to watch it now...

TVB, K-dramas, JODRAMAs FTW! Haha agreed, i waste so much time watching dramas and looking at all the updated asian forums, haha i really love the asian culture though.

Edited by HMSChocolate

To be honest I cannot stand K-drama. :) I have never ever completely watched a single K-drama completely in my life. And I've tried. I tried watching Goong but the version I got online had the most annoying dubbing voices so I stopped watching after about 30 minutes. I watched most of Dae Jang Geum and I'll admit that I liked it but it's not your everyday K-drama and it went on forever. I though it'd never end. As for Jodramas...haven't tried any yet. :D TVB can be ok. I'm not a huge fan of Taiwanese idol dramas either, though they can be fun to watch. I'm definitely a lot more into historic, mainland productions. I think I'm very selective in the dramas I watch, which usually stars my favourite actors or are about historical events/periods I'm interested in.

haha omg, you totally need to watch the originals with english subtitles go to veoh.com or crunchyroll.com to steamlive. Honestly, some k-dramas can be prolonged and get boring, so i've been watching more and more jodramas like hana kimi and hana jori dango, because they're so eccentric and out there. Do you at least watch the good old classic wuxia stuff like, Thieu Li Phi Dy or Condor Heroes (please say yes), or Thien Long Bat Bo. I know some online viet screaming sites, if you need a good watch, I'm trying to finish all the Young Judge Bao dramas. Taiwanese dramas are kinda .. annoying, i guess you can say, i only really like Smiling Pasta, it's lame but a very nice way. What are some of your favorite stars. And shame on you, how can you resist, Goong, haha Yoon Eun Hye is amazing.

Yeah I've heard Hana Kimi is good. My Viet forum (dienanh.net) is doing a fansub of it and I might wait until they finish to watch it. Of course it'll take forever for them to complete it but we'll see.

And yes I do watch Kim Dung wuxia. :D

And I know quite a few places for online dramas so don't wory, I'm not lacking things to watch, just time. :) I think I'm going to spend my 3 month summer just watching dramas. :lol: I can't wait for summer break...4 weeks...sigh. (Before you ask, I'm at uni in Australia, so our summer is Dec --> Feb)

I never really got into Goong. I'm trying to find a better version with better dubbing than that annoying version I got on (some site or other...I forget).

I am now rewatching (for the millionth time) Huan Zhu Ge Ge, but with English subs. I've always watched it Viet dubbed but now someone's doing English fansub of it so I'm rewatching in English. But the last "new" (as in not a rewatch) drama I watched was Moment in Peking which was phenonmenal but also with a very aggravating first half. But my plans for the summer is to watch:

Thank you for having loved me (Trieu Vy, Chau Nhat Vi)

Fast track love (which I don't have a lot of expectation for...apparently it's not very good) (Trieu Vy, Luc Nghi)

Longest Night in Shanghai (if I can find an English/Viet version which I haven't) (Trieu Vy, Masahiro Motoki)

Can you guess now who my favourite actress is? :D

Luong Son Ba - Chuc Anh Dai with Dong Khiet

then whatever I feel like getting into...

:D

lol don't worry i have some Aus people on my msn, so i know your schooling break is a bit different than ours.

haha Dong Khiet, I've never seen any of her dramas, might need to check her out some time. But i'm a huge fan of Luu Diec Phi, i didn't really like her in XLN, though, but she was incredible in TLBB, haha even though her character was silent most of the time. Lê Tư is another actress i simply adore. Duong Ninh, too. Not a big fan of the new generation guys though, still fan of the old school actors, more about talents and less about looks. haha i keep on re-watching Te Thien Dai Thanh, all the time, old i know, but i love it.

haha another viet that loves Trieu Vy, gahh everyone seems to love her, haha wonder why. I guess i've never really gotten into anything thats made me really love her. HZGG is good, but i like Ruby Lin more.

You seriously need to watch Hana Kimi, haha the guys are hilarious, thats probably the highlight of the drama, all the characters are really out there and one of a kind.

Have you seen Snow Queen, it's really emotional and Hyun Bin is in it, he is simply .. gorgeous and so talented for his age. My Name is Kim Sam Soon is really funny too. There's tons of K-dramas that i've started, but never finished. I really need to finish Coffee Prince at this point. I like watching the korean variety shows though, they crack me up.

and if you ever need a good streaming site : http://luyenphim.us - click on stream videos.

Edited by Soy

Oh wow thanks, I just realised now that luyenphim offers online streaming as well. :D

Yeah I love Trieu Vy from HZGG but she's good in other things as well. So Close is one of her best movies. Well she does a lot of low budget movies so she stays relatively low profile. But she's gotten a lot better since her HZGG days.

Ruby is cute but I won't judge the acting since I have only seen her in HZGG and half of QSSYMM (a lot of crying in both...). Oh I saw her in Tai Chi Progidy with ****ey Cheung but she only had a guest role in that.

haha i keep on re-watching Te Thien Dai Thanh, all the time, old i know, but i love it.

The 1987 version? It was aired again in VTV last June. It's just one of those things that it's nice to rewatch after a few years. That and Judge Bao (the original one).

Have you seen Snow Queen, it's really emotional and Hyun Bin is in it, he is simply .. gorgeous and so talented for his age. My Name is Kim Sam Soon is really funny too. There's tons of K-dramas that i've started, but never finished. I really need to finish Coffee Prince at this point. I like watching the korean variety shows though, they crack me up.

I told you I don't watch K-dramas. :) the ones I have attempted could be counted on one hand.

- Glass Shoes - the story line with the sisters was good but too much weepy love triangle. That ruined it.

- Love Story in Harvard - I stopped watching the moment I knew she's going to get cancer. :lol: The English made me cringe.

- Dae Jang Geum - different. But tooooo long

I'll try and watch Goong. :D

Seriously, that's all the K-dramas I ever attempted to seriously watch (i.e. watched more than 5 episodes) :D

Dae Jang Geum is good, but it is long as heck, haha i watched viet dub for that. haha Glass Shoes was my first K-drama ever, and i hated it, haha its so long compared to the new dramas nowadays, and so draggy. Hahaha :lol: Kim Tae hee, even though her english was **** in the series, got to give her an A for effort though. I'm more of a romantic comedy type of person, so thats why i recommended the ones i did. Snow queen is beautifully done though, it's seriously a much watch, acting wish and plot wise.

as for TTDT, yeah all the versions actually, from TVB to mainland, im quite fond of the monkey king and his 7 times 7 = 49 sayings :D

Ah, i love so close a) carpenters music, hello ! and well B) it was just really good.

well i really liked ruby after watching Chor Lau Heung 2001 with Gigi Lai. haha her character was really funny in that one.

So this is what we do when we have no life (or are crasting as I am now...): discuss TV series. :lol:

I have to say there was a time when I disliked Ruby. Not because of her or anything, it's just this stupid sense of competition that seems to exist between certain Ruby and Vicki fan, that I just find incredibly ridiculous. I avoide Ruby vs Vicki arguments when I can but they still are annoying.

But lately Ruby's grown on me again. :D I did love her as much as I did Vicki in HZGG. Now I do like her again, though not quite so much as about 7 years ago. :D I should go watch more of her stuff.... :D

Anyway, I should be off doing some work...grrr....this is what happens when I get days off. I don't do anything. Ok, bye. Have fun posting. *cough* :)

gahh still trying to reach that 50 mark. haha i actually use to dislike both ruby and vicki, because of that rivalry thing, it was just too big and i preferred athena chu & li bing bing anyways, but the more i watch them, the more i like them i guess. yeah im procrastinating too, but its like 2 am

haha i know, but still i wanted to respond, rarely do i see another ib person that watches dramas. go back to your studies.

and the Young Judge Bao III is amazing, well up to episode 9ish, haha before he gets back his memory, i love it, and the new bao is funny, but still serious. Yeah i loved LBB in the first one and in that one series with Aaron Kwok.

rarely do i see another ib person that watches dramas.

Haha I lived in Vietnam. that's everything that shows on TV - Korean/Chinese dramas. :lol::D There isn't a good Vietnamese TV show/series to speak of. Well...unless you count Nhat Ky Vang Anh. *cringe*

(I've been saying I'd get out of here for the last 15 minutes....XP)

haha honestly, i don't watch any Vietnamese dramas or series, the most Vietnamese style series, ive ever seen was that viet bride, korea-vietnam, co-production with lee dong wook. i do, however watch paris by night and vanson and stuff like that when i get the chance. i really do like that my viet actually improves as i watch more dubbed dramas though.

haha but they started out as actors, F4 was formed from the series, haha i dont know, i dont care too much for their music, ken is pretty hot, i love him in that one sky movie with gigi leung (even though i hate her).

and vanness is hot .. when hes next to kangta, and i just think jerry is retarded !

haha but they started out as actors, F4 was formed from the series, haha i dont know, i dont care too much for their music, ken is pretty hot, i love him in that one sky movie with gigi leung (even though i hate her).

and vanness is hot .. when hes next to kangta, and i just think jerry is retarded !

I know but I think they're better as singers. ^_^

Not that I listen to them a lot or anything... :D (I don't)

• 1 month later...

I'm not Asian, but I'm absolutely obsessed with K-dramas. They're so good! *gasp* How can anyone find Dae Jang Geum too long or boring? It's my favorite K-drama! :P I love the main actress, Lee Young-Ae, and and actor, Ji Jin-Hee. They play their roles so perfectly! I watched the original version with English subtitles. I think it's more enjoyable than watching the dubbed version. I'm currently watching Dr. Heo Jun (they're showing it on Arirang, a Korean channel I have on my sat), which I admit is a little too long, but it's still really good. But the main character is married, which makes it less fun to watch :D Has anyone watched Emperor of the Sea (or something like that...don't remember the name..)? Is it any good? I don't know whether I should buy it or not