Physics EE Topic on Nuclear Energy Topic too Broad?

Alexd

I am doing my EE in physics specifically regarding nuclear energy. I am almost done gathering my research and hope to start writing soon. My proposed title is Nuclear Energy: The Energy of the Future. In my paper I would like to discuss various reasons why nuclear energy is safe, effective, and can eventually replace fossil fuels. Is this too broad? If it is how should I narrow down my topic? Thanks for your help in advance

It is really broad and not only that, but people are discouraged from just doing research essays.

A good physics topic would be something like:

How is Angular momentum effected by weight distributions in a moving body

Aerodynamics of different wing formation of the green swamp dragonfly species

one for your topic would be something maybe having to do with..as specific as possible. Physics is the study of atoms, and in nuclear energy, you would look at graphs of isotopes and analysis of different forms of energy coming from bonds breaking.

You should really read the "subject specifics" of the EE assessment. It will help you sort some of your troubles out.

• Like 1

I decided to do my EE on Nuclear Energy, but obviously an experiment involving nuclear energy would be way too hard. So instead I decided to focus on the fuels for nuclear energy, and my topic is to investigate which fuel is the best overall uranium, thorium, or plutonium. Is this topic good or should I focus my EE on another aspect of Nuclear Energy? Thanks in advanced

I decided to do my EE on Nuclear Energy, but obviously an experiment involving nuclear energy would be way too hard. So instead I decided to focus on the fuels for nuclear energy, and my topic is to investigate which fuel is the best overall uranium, thorium, or plutonium. Is this topic good or should I focus my EE on another aspect of Nuclear Energy? Thanks in advanced

I'm not familiar with science EEs, but what sources do you intend to use? I suppose it'll be problematic to conduct experiments, but you'll still need first hand material.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me warn you at research EEs in the sciences usually get lower marks than experimental ones (feels like I've said this 10 times on this forum already).

So, do an experiment unless you are sure that you can you can put together various people's research and develop a unique conclusion. A science EE should definately not be a mere putting together of various sources.

Also, I think that your topic is way too broad. You need to focus on one aspect of Nuclear Energy and state it clearly in your topic/research question.

I would suggest that you read the IBO EE Guide... especially the Physics section.

Plus, what research did you do so far? Advantages of nuclear power vs. Disadvantages? Ways of production? Efficiency? Let us know so we can get a better idea and comment on it.

Edited by 1-2-3