Question about EE in literature

Afterglow

I was going through my guiding papers for EE and was wondering about a certain thing.

When you write you EE in literature (whether group 1 or 2) - do you need to mention/discuss the method? Also, evaluation of discussion, implication and such - are they needed? In my papers, it says so but while I do understand why you need it in sciences and certain social sciences, I don't understand how you add evaluation and implication for a literature analysis. Also, my only method was basically close-reading of the novel. I read the novel first, then read a bunch of essays and articles by critics and then re-read my novel very closely and analysed.

I was going through my guiding papers for EE and was wondering about a certain thing.

When you write you EE in literature (whether group 1 or 2) - do you need to mention/discuss the method? Also, evaluation of discussion, implication and such - are they needed? In my papers, it says so but while I do understand why you need it in sciences and certain social sciences, I don't understand how you add evaluation and implication for a literature analysis. Also, my only method was basically close-reading of the novel. I read the novel first, then read a bunch of essays and articles by critics and then re-read my novel very closely and analysed.

I haven't heard anyone particularly mention this. And I haven't seen any lit EE that does this. I didn't really do this and managed to get 28/36 (an A was 30/36). So unless you tell me that the reason I was two marks off an A was because I didn't do this...

And yeah I dont see how it's necessary, either, to write about methods. How many methods of lit analysing can you get? Read the book, read other sources, write the essay.

For implications, I think you should only include them if they're appropriate. Like my essay was written before the HP series was finished. I just mentioned that briefly in my conclusion. Also I looked at one Narnia book instead of the whole series and I had a reason for doing that, so I mentioned that. But other than that, I can't think of anything else that might fit into "evaluation".

I think if they're appropriate to your essay and if you can thinking of something to write that is necessary then you should include it. Otherwise, I think even without it, a well written essay with good analysis is still capable of an A.

• 1 month later...

I think it's fine as well (i hope so though since I too used sub-headings)

An English EE can be a bit flexible since it can be without or with subheadings. Subsheading are very often more useful since they can make the arguments more clear. If you read literary criticism then you can see that several of them have more or less subheadings. Usually they are very long though x_x

The most important thing is that the essay will flow well and to make sure that the subheadings don't disrupt that. And the academic register and structure is also very important.

Guest rissygirl13

YES! I know for sure some subjects allow, even encourage it. I did my EE on the topic of psychology and had about ten sub headings. It was a very effective way to outline my paper and make it easier to follow. Headings can curb the reader down the path of your argument and lessen confusion. I highly recommend them!

However, English may be another animal when compared to psych. I would just make sure that the language flow isnt interrupted by the headings, but the headings rather slip in as signs to where the writer is going.

good luck!

Edited by rissygirl13