Restrictions on applying to Russell Group universities

Dr Tchock

I'm looking to do medicine at university. I've had a look at Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool, will be looking at Sheffield on Tuesday, and will visit more over the summer. They're all Russell Group universities, and it's most likely that all of my applications will end up going to Russell Group universities.

Our IB co-ordinator isn't letting anyone make more than three applications to RG unis (she says we can have three main RG choices, one non-RG for the same course and then an insurance application at another university). In the year above, someone did what she said, and only got an offer from a non-RG university, which was her fourth choice, and she doesn't even want to go there.

I mean I'd rather apply to four Russell Group unis and not get an offer rather than get an offer from a non-RG uni which I don't want to go to...

Does anyone think our IB co-ordinator is doing the right thing, restricting our Russell Group choices? I think we're all mature enough to decide where we want to apply to...

The only restriction that exists on your UCAS form is for Oxbridge, wherein you can only apply to either Cambs or Oxford, but not both.

If you have the predicted grades, and the aptitude, to apply to all of them then you should. No one should stop you.