what are ib marks made of?

memski

so i know that 7 marks are awarded for each subject. but are these marks based purely on on our ib exams?

or is part of this mark based on school work, (i.e work we have done throughout the 2 years, marked by teachers)

sorry i have no clue, cause my ib coordinator isnt all that helpful. an example, i didnt even know there was an extended essay until i found this sit :)

thanks!

As far as I know, most subjects have internally assessed and externally assessed components. The final exam at the end of your second IB year make up the majority, but not all of your grades.

For example, for English, the orals are internally assessed. From the information my school gave us, the written examination in English constitutes 50%, world literature 20% (externally assessed)and oral 30%.

For languages other than latin, written examintion 70% and oral 30% (internally assessed, externally moderated)

For economics, examinations 80% and portfolio 20% (internally assessed)

For geography, HL: examinations 75% and internal assessment 25%; SL: examinations 80% and internal assessment 20%

For history, HL: examinations 80% and internal assessment 20%; SL: examinations 75% and internal assessment 25%

For Biology, Physics and Chemistry, written examinations 76% and internal assessment 24%

For Maths, examinations 80% and Portfolio 20%

I think the figures should be the same in all parts of the world.

• Like 2

So in all subjects, is it only the IB related assignments that are included? I mean, if we're doing a different syllabus simultaneously and we do assignments for that, can the teacher include those marks in our IB mark, or will they be kept separate? Is there even such a thing as 'regular' and 'IB' marks to differentiate between IB work and regular syllabus work?

So in all subjects, is it only the IB related assignments that are included? I mean, if we're doing a different syllabus simultaneously and we do assignments for that, can the teacher include those marks in our IB mark, or will they be kept separate? Is there even such a thing as 'regular' and 'IB' marks to differentiate between IB work and regular syllabus work?

Yes, your grades are ONLY based on the IB stuff, that is exams and the internal assessment. NOTHING else is included. Also, your teacher is not the one who gives you your grade.