ib schools in greater toronto area

CAY

i need help/advice (hope this is an appropriate forum for my question...)

i'm going to be moving to the greater toronto area,

and to you, IBians (just making up words, ahem..)

who is currently going/has attended one of the PUBLIC schools with ib program, i have a favour to ask:

tell me about your schools' ib program, in terms of the quality (teachers, courses), the support (especially the coordinator), the general school's atmosphere and anything else that you've noticed/felt... how your experience in your school's ib program is going/was...

ib can be horrid without a good supporting environment

we're trying to decide which neighborhood to go to

i've checked the ib subjects the schools offer and everything but then decided that i can't do this wihtout your help

help me, please! thanks :P

(oh yeah, i'm just finishing up pre-ib/grade 10 in Manitoba... should actually be studying for the exams... or be sleeping... but can't sleep:P)

Edited by C2H12O6

Robert Bateman HS (Burlington)

- wonderful people, decent teachers (I guess), average overall performance

- graduating class (diploma 2009) is ~20ish

- excellent faculties: the school seems 'richer' than most

- the IBC is apparently Parmagiani now? not sure how that went down, haha

- can smell pot smoke in the halls between classes ;) (good real life education?) this is due to the mix of IB, academic, and applied kids though. As IB, you wouldn't really hang around with applied students so it doesn't matter

Glenforest SS (Mississauga)

- wonderful people, some exemplary teachers, others decent

- overall competitive academic environment, above average performance

- graduating class (diploma 2009) is ~55ish

- decent faculties (you have everything you need), just not as good as Bateman's

- a small minority smoke/drink/do drugs... it's barely present though

Personally, if I could choose again, I'd pull the people I've met from Bateman (no offense to anyone XD) but attend Glenforest because of the teaching/overall academic environment.

• Like 1

thanks Irene ;)

what is IBC and Parmagiani though? i don't know what they are hehe XD

we are looking into Mississauga so this is going to help a lot

the school i'm currently going is ~20 graduating class (ib) and has applied, advanced, smoke/drug/drink students too

but like you said, ib kids don't mix with them so it doesn't matter (lol real life education)

Hmm my IB high school was in Thornhill so I dunno if it'll be any help haha. But it was St. Robert Catholic High School and the IB program is pretty good there, for the past 3 years we've conquered the Top Scholar rankings in the York Catholic District School Board ;). Last year 7/10 of the top 10 students were from my school.

Are you May 2010?

If so...

As Irene said, Glenforest has some wonderful teachers :D

The courses we're offering for 2010 candidates are:

- HL/SL Biology (SL is completed)

- HL Chemistry

- SL Math (Completed)

- HL Economics

- HL English

- SL French

- SL Psychology (Completed)

- SL Physics (Completed)

Academically, we are a very competitive batch :D

We have around 25 to 30 students max. in a classroom (Although we've had like 12 people in some classes)

The total number of Diploma candidates is around 80.

The IB coordinator is good and quite supportive (with EEs and such)

I must add that the students are pretty nice and you won't have a problem fitting in or anything :D

EDIT: I just noticed that you said that you were a May 2011 candidate :D

Well... GFSS is still awesome... but I don't know a lot about 2011 kids.

Edited by 1-2-3

Are you May 2010?

If so...

As Irene said, Glenforest has some wonderful teachers :D

The courses we're offering for 2010 candidates are:

- HL/SL Biology (SL is completed)

- HL Chemistry

- SL Math (Completed)

- HL Economics

- HL English

- SL French

- SL Psychology (Completed)

- SL Physics (Completed)

Academically, we are a very competitive batch :D

We have around 25 to 30 students max. in a classroom (Although we've had like 12 people in some classes)

The total number of Diploma candidates is around 80.

The IB coordinator is good and quite supportive (with EEs and such)

I must add that the students are pretty nice and you won't have a problem fitting in or anything :D

EDIT: I just noticed that you said that you were a May 2011 candidate :D

Well... GFSS is still awesome... but I don't know a lot about 2011 kids.

I have to disagree...the IB coordinator at Glenforest is anything but supportive of students (althought she does her job fine at the basic level). Overall though I loved Glenforest. The teaching and preparation of some subjects like Math SL is extremely good ( the 7 rate is extremely high) while others is pretty crap like english A1 HL.

Edited by master135

thanks _inthemaking, 1-2-3 and master135

we are looking at the whole gta so info on all places are welcome :D

_inthemaking: since it's a Catholic school, is there a compulsory bible class?

i've attended cath schools in the past... if there is, does the bible class take away a lot of time? what w/ ib and all...

master135: can you explain in what way you thought the coordinator wasn't supportive

Edited by C2H12O6

Nope, you only have to take religion in grades 9 and 10.

Here's what the IB schedule is like at my school:

In grade 11 you write the Maths SL and French B SL exams, as well as complete TOK. In grade 12, you complete the other 4 IB courses (English A1 HL, bio/physics SL, chem HL, and econ/history HL).

Only bad thing about my school is that there is little selection of IB courses.

master135: can you explain in what way you thought the coordinator wasn't supportive

He and a few others had some bad experiences regarding marks for English *cough*

The Eng teachers are slightly flawed but good in their own ways... Math HL though, I'm glad that's over :D although it turned out okay in the end. It's discontinued at GFSS so it wouldn't matter to you

IBC = IB Coordinator. Parmagiani was my old French teacher when I was in Pre-IB. Funny/nice lady but I seriously can't see her as IBC

Edit: May 2011 will probably have Diljohn for HL Chem. Phenomenal teacher, easily one of the best (if not the best) teacher I've had... at all my 10 schools. :D

Edited by Irene
  • Like 1

He and a few others had some bad experiences regarding marks for English *cough*

The Eng teachers are slightly flawed but good in their own ways... Math HL though, I'm glad that's over :D although it turned out okay in the end. It's discontinued at GFSS so it wouldn't matter to you

IBC = IB Coordinator. Parmagiani was my old French teacher when I was in Pre-IB. Funny/nice lady but I seriously can't see her as IBC

Edit: May 2011 will probably have Diljohn for HL Chem. Phenomenal teacher, easily one of the best (if not the best) teacher I've had... at all my 10 schools. :D

Well the problem is that our IBC practically NEVER listened to the students' opinions on any matter and was not willing to go out of her way to help you in any matter, although she did her job fine at the basic level. But that shouldn't be too much of a downside of attending this school. As mentioned, most of the subjects are taught very well, and a variety of them are offered. As for Math HL - it might come back in a few years but not for 2011.

thank you to all of you :P

your responses are greatly appreciated!

does anyone else want to tell me about their schools(has to be public school in greater toronto area)?

which do you think has the best ib program?

i'm especially interested in areas like markham, oakville, richmond hill and mississauga

thanx for helping!

er...Bayview Secondary School is alright. The people are really nice, but the school is really old. The teachers are great (except maybe french) but there aren't a lot of course selection choices. graduating class is ~70? and the school is mixed applied, academic, and IB. if you want other info, just ask me^^

Turner Fenton Secondary School (supposedly the biggest high school in peel and the only campus based high school in Ontario) located in Brampton. Again, like many other schools this is not just an ib school, it offers quite a lot of special programs (everything from the high standard academics to the novice - to put it bluntly - and everything in between). It offers IB, regular, basic, special basic, chef training, etc. This shcool has a whole mix of academic standards, but to put it bluntly the 90% of the IB population is Non-white - actually asian (south asian + oriental). To put it bluntly I can name all the white people from the top of my head right now XD But why shud it matter what ethnicity and race we come from, we unite in the name of education. So the courses offered are:

HL English (Mandatory)

HL French

SL French

SL Economics

SL ITGS

SL Spanish (officialy there's no SL Spanish class but you will be put in the regular academic Spanish clasS)

HL + SL History

HL + SL Math

SL Physics

HL + SL Chem

HL + SL Bio

History department is amazing!!!! Math department is good, french (only 1 teacher) she's decent, econ (again she's alright), itgs (2 teachers - one really good and the other decent), physics (1 can teach well the other doesnt know how to). Bio department is really good to, chem (2 teachers - both good). Basically if you work smart and have decent time management skills you will do fine. Good luck.