HK and UK Universities?

megatron

Lets just say I don't have the best IB points in the world.

I'm planning to take Law in the future, and was just wondering what are the requirements for:

UK:

UCL

King's College

Durham

HK:

HKU

Thanks in advance!

Well, I think it's something like this.

UCL: roughly 38

King's College: someone from my school is being given a conditional. however, it's in terms of percentage. if he gets a 90%, he can go for law. That's roughly a IB score of 38-41

Durham: Unsure

For Hong Kong university, I almost positive you need somewhere around 38 points, as I know someone who is aiming to get in there.

Keep in mind that all the scores above are with the points of your EE and ToK factored in.

I think Mattias answered your question pretty much spot on, although do look out for changes in the requirements since Law along with Medicine are the two most popular courses with harsh competition. If you do not receive the grades which will allow you to go to those top universities, you can still take a derivative of that course let's say international relations or something like that and change after the first year. Then because you do this you would be able to apply to a course with not so many applicants. I know this is possible since with Medicine you can do the same thing, you can take Chemistry or Biology pure and then swap the second year. You should know that possibilties are endless, well at least almost.

• Like 1

megatron, in the future if you want to know specific entry requirements for courses in the UK, go to www.ucas.com, use "Subject search" for Law and click on the name of the unievrsity you're interested in. The requirements for IB can be found under "Other Tariff qualifications" in "Entry requirements".

EDIT: I checked and all of the universities you mention require 38 points to study Law on its own. On top of that, UCL requires a minimum of 6,6,6 required in Higher Level subjects.

I think Mattias answered your question pretty much spot on, although do look out for changes in the requirements since Law along with Medicine are the two most popular courses with harsh competition. If you do not receive the grades which will allow you to go to those top universities, you can still take a derivative of that course let's say international relations or something like that and change after the first year. Then because you do this you would be able to apply to a course with not so many applicants. I know this is possible since with Medicine you can do the same thing, you can take Chemistry or Biology pure and then swap the second year. You should know that possibilties are endless, well at least almost.

Universities in the UK don't generally let students swap to Law or Medicine if they applied and were accepted under a different course. Especially if they received less points than were required for Law/Medicine (e.g. Law required 38, and you only achieved 34). Otherwise everyone would do that, and it's not fair to the people that actually achieved the IB results needed for Law. You are allowed to change courses if there is space in the course you wnat to change to, and if you achieved the required results (though the university might exempt you from this if they have extra space in the medicine course, because tution fees for that are higher and they obviously want to make money).

For medicine, you're able to change because there is a separate route. For example, you can apply for a Biology/Chemistry course, complete it, and then go on to study Medicine easily.

Edited by Vvi