Should women marry for love or money?

• 5 weeks later...

i believe that marriage is a very big decision. YES divorce is now easily attained, and YES marrying multiple times is no longer frowned upon, i am glad for all of that.

I honestly don't think someone should marry for money, because eventually they will get sick of their partner, and they will want some emotional fulfillment. When that happens will they break their vows and have a series of affairs? or divorce and find someone else?

At the same time, should anyone just marry someone because the other person makes them feel all giddy inside? what if that is just a fleeting feeling and it eventually fades? will they go and find someone else to replicate that feeling they had before?

Marriage should be entered cautiously. One needs to know the person they are marrying fully, this whole thing about marrying someone you just met is sheer stupidity. Do not marry for money, and do not marry someone because you get butterflies in your tummy every time you see them.

Get to know someone; their strengths and their weaknesses. Get to know their ultimate goals, compare that with your ultimate goals. Marry someone when they are compatible with you, when you know that you will be happy with them during the good times, and you will be able to easily work threw the not so good times. Marry for compatibility, for contentedness, and for logistics. thats how i see it XD

(that being said, i am not against wealth or love, i am in love with my boyfriend of 1 year, and i do strive to become financially well off :S )

Edited by Linayra Huntington

You should marry for money as all the time people marry for "love" which quickly fades into habit and dependence in the best scenario, or resentment in the worst. These outcomes are EQUALLY likely if the two do not love each other at the start. Love fades but the money is still there.

But either way I'm ****ed. IMO, women's top priority should be geeky asian males who resent being in IB.

Edit: I think people are under the wrong impression. Just because someone's rich doesn't mean they are an inherently unlikeable person.

I think that this topic is probably the stupidest thing to debate about. Firstly trying to normalize reason for marriage, is... I'm lost for words to how stupid that is to do. situations differ, hence the reason for marriage between people differs. If you're in a slum somewhere you can't get out, filled with disease, death, drugs, rape etc. hey marry rich man if it's gonna get you out of such living situations.

If you're blindly in love with a con man, well you're an idiot. think again!

those are just 2 examples of why debating a topic like this is stupid.

I don't believe in marriage. Why formalize love with something that you'll have to undo anyways if you mess up?

how liberal of you. All hail the innovative idea presented in this post. A new dawn is presented, and our thoughts freed from the limitations of the either/or options in the thread topic.

My point being Hien posted a topic of controversy where authors and scholars criticizing their deductions.

And the thread's turned into 'I fink... I fink! that I'm gonna go wiv vis because... I like it!'

where are the real debaters?

• Like 2