Are there cases where someone successfully changes from SL to HL for the second year of study

We've just started the spring term in the first year of IB Diploma, and I've been considering dropping my SL french for HL math (due to schedule overlap problems between the two). As a consequence, I would need to drop the diploma, but the classes would still be IB-based. I have a meeting scheduled with our school's IB coordinator in a few days, and I've been told the likeliness of joining are severely low. My math teacher has given the green light for switching as long as I do some catch-up work for the course, but the University Guidance Councillor says that there will be other problems such as the hour-quota for HL classes & additional scheduling problems.

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there have been successful cases of SL to HL course changes in the latter year if IBDP? and/or if there are resources to possibly bypass the hour-quota for HL classes (summer classes, self-study, online, etc)?