What Math should I take?

patel_jiiya

I just started my Pre IB year, and i am confused about my subject selections. I was planning to take Physics HL, Chemistry HL and Math AA HL, but my teacher Chem teacher suggested that i should rather do Chemistry and Biology (since i wanted chem to be my major). Thats why now I am only confused about math, like what math should i take? Math AA HL or Math AA SL or Math AI HL or Math AI SL?

Also, do you think it is a good idea to take Bio HL and Chem HL (and probably psychology HL if i cant take math HL)?

12 minutes ago, patel_jiiya said:

I just started my Pre IB year, and i am confused about my subject selections. I was planning to take Physics HL, Chemistry HL and Math AA HL, but my teacher Chem teacher suggested that i should rather do Chemistry and Biology (since i wanted chem to be my major). Thats why now I am only confused about math, like what math should i take? Math AA HL or Math AA SL or Math AI HL or Math AI SL?

Also, do you think it is a good idea to take Bio HL and Chem HL (and probably psychology HL if i cant take math HL)?

Hi hiiii, so my school works kinda different (in terms of which subject are given and that we are able to chose) but I'll tell you what they told me before starting this school year (I'm DP 1 year) 

1. Taking bio and chem HL must be a great option! As far as I know there is a biochemistry topic so it would come in handy to be in bio, but beyond that they are quite close, if you understand chemistry most things in biology will come much more easier and you'll have more knowledge on both as they complement each other. Now academically speaking it must be quite rough (I'm doing both bio and chem but SL as my school doesn't offer HL) and it's already a bit heavy so I'd only imagine HL, but it's certainly worth it if you really like science and perform well, like if I had that option I'd definitely take it.

Now regarding maths, again my school doesn't have maths at HL, so it'd come to be AA vs AI, it depends honestly. In my school the general recommendation is that you take AI if you'll be doing biology as the statistics content in the course will help you for your IA and I suppose it'll help in chemistry as well, BUT, if you really like maths "maths" (like solving equations, functions, trigonometry math), I'd advise for you to risk it a bit and chose AA. Personally I initially enrolled in AI but before classes started I changed to AA simply because I loveee those types of math and I'm good at them (even if I don't plan in choosing a career path strongly related to maths like an engineering), again I've only been studying for a month but I've loved it so far. Personal recommendation, I think that with the 2 sciences in HL maths HL too might be a lot of stress so keep that in mind.

And yes psychology must be an even greater option as it involves both Bio and Chem. 

Summaryyy:
- Yes, Bio and Chem HL should be great if you actually enjoy science (lots of assignments but hopefully worth it)
- Maths: what my school advised is Math AA if you will take an engineering as career or something similar, Math AI if you'll chose bio or anything with lots of statistics for IA, so most people chose maths AI, but if you perform or like maths AA contents better (equations, functions, trig, etc.) better, you can chose that and you'll also be alright but you'll need to do some extra work at IA (or that's what I've been told.
-Yes psychology must be a great option also

hope this helpssss <3

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IsaB350 said:

Hi hiiii, so my school works kinda different (in terms of which subject are given and that we are able to chose) but I'll tell you what they told me before starting this school year (I'm DP 1 year) 

1. Taking bio and chem HL must be a great option! As far as I know there is a biochemistry topic so it would come in handy to be in bio, but beyond that they are quite close, if you understand chemistry most things in biology will come much more easier and you'll have more knowledge on both as they complement each other. Now academically speaking it must be quite rough (I'm doing both bio and chem but SL as my school doesn't offer HL) and it's already a bit heavy so I'd only imagine HL, but it's certainly worth it if you really like science and perform well, like if I had that option I'd definitely take it.

Now regarding maths, again my school doesn't have maths at HL, so it'd come to be AA vs AI, it depends honestly. In my school the general recommendation is that you take AI if you'll be doing biology as the statistics content in the course will help you for your IA and I suppose it'll help in chemistry as well, BUT, if you really like maths "maths" (like solving equations, functions, trigonometry math), I'd advise for you to risk it a bit and chose AA. Personally I initially enrolled in AI but before classes started I changed to AA simply because I loveee those types of math and I'm good at them (even if I don't plan in choosing a career path strongly related to maths like an engineering), again I've only been studying for a month but I've loved it so far. Personal recommendation, I think that with the 2 sciences in HL maths HL too might be a lot of stress so keep that in mind.

And yes psychology must be an even greater option as it involves both Bio and Chem. 

Summaryyy:
- Yes, Bio and Chem HL should be great if you actually enjoy science (lots of assignments but hopefully worth it)
- Maths: what my school advised is Math AA if you will take an engineering as career or something similar, Math AI if you'll chose bio or anything with lots of statistics for IA, so most people chose maths AI, but if you perform or like maths AA contents better (equations, functions, trig, etc.) better, you can chose that and you'll also be alright but you'll need to do some extra work at IA (or that's what I've been told.
-Yes psychology must be a great option also

hope this helpssss <3

Oh my god Thank you so much, this really helps. I was uncertain about everything because all the teachers are trying to promote their subjects and it is just confusing there. <3

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 10:27 AM, patel_jiiya said:

Oh my god Thank you so much, this really helps. I was uncertain about everything because all the teachers are trying to promote their subjects and it is just confusing there. <3

So so glad it helped a bit, good luck with DP! <3