would it make sense to transfer to a different school in the middle of the academic year.

hannah2474

i want to move school but i would only be able to join in late jan next year yet that would be the start of their second semester. my mum wants me to go but i think it would be hard cause by that time arent people far into their IAs and stuff. wont i just be making a mistake

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 10:54 AM, hannah2474 said:

i want to move school but i would only be able to join in late jan next year yet that would be the start of their second semester. my mum wants me to go but i think it would be hard cause by that time arent people far into their IAs and stuff. wont i just be making a mistake

Hey there!

First off, kudos for considering the IB program! It's a challenging yet rewarding experience. Now, onto your concerns:

Jumping into the IB program in the middle of the year can be a bit daunting, especially when you think about IAs, TOK, and all the other acronyms they throw at you. But here's the thing:

Support System

Most IB schools have a strong support system in place. Teachers and coordinators are usually understanding and will help you catch up. They've seen students join at different times and will have strategies to help you integrate.

Your Peers

While it's true that many students will be deep into their IAs and other assignments, you'll also find that the IB community is pretty tight-knit. Your peers can be a great resource for notes, advice, and general support.

It's a Challenge, but...

Yes, it'll be a challenge, but challenges often lead to growth. If you're passionate about the subjects you'll be taking and are willing to put in the effort, you can definitely make it work.

Consider Your Current Curriculum

If you're already in a rigorous program or have some overlap with the IB subjects, the transition might be smoother than you think.

Talk to the School

Before making a decision, have a chat with the IB coordinator or a counselor at the school you're considering. They can give you a clearer picture of what to expect and how they can support you.

What's most important is that you make a choice that feels right for you. If you decide to take the plunge, the IB community will be there to welcome you with open arms. And if you decide to wait or go another route, that's perfectly okay too. Trust yourself and good luck with whatever you choose! 🍀

Stay curious and best wishes ;)