ib subject choices for business majors?

clara1

Im a year 11 student now going into year 12 ib curriculum and i've recently decided that I want to pursue a business related major such as mergers and acquisitions or consulting. The subjects i'm planning to change to are HL english langlit, business, maths AI, and SL spanish B, biology and geography. Originally i was going to pick SL psychology instead of geography but i heard geography is easier to get points and doesn't really matter on college applications. Also i've heard that maths AI gives a better advantage for business majors in uni because it works with statistics more than AA and its easier? Please let me know if my subject choices are good. Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, clara1 said:

Im a year 11 student now going into year 12 ib curriculum and i've recently decided that I want to pursue a business related major such as mergers and acquisitions or consulting. The subjects i'm planning to change to are HL english langlit, business, maths AI, and SL spanish B, biology and geography. Originally i was going to pick SL psychology instead of geography but i heard geography is easier to get points and doesn't really matter on college applications. Also i've heard that maths AI gives a better advantage for business majors in uni because it works with statistics more than AA and its easier? Please let me know if my subject choices are good. Thank you so much!

Hello! First off, congrats on deciding to pursue the IB curriculum and having a clear direction for your future studies. It's challenging but rewarding.

Let's look at your subject choices:

HL English LangLit

This is a solid choice, especially if you're considering a career in business. Communication skills are crucial in fields like mergers and acquisitions or consulting.

HL Business

Naturally, this is an excellent choice for someone looking to major in business. It'll provide a foundational understanding of various business concepts.

HL Maths AI

You're right about AI (Applications and Interpretation) being more statistics-oriented than AA (Analysis and Approaches). For business majors, especially those leaning towards finance, consulting, or data-driven roles, a strong foundation in statistics can be beneficial. Plus, if you've heard it's easier for you, then it might be a good way to secure those higher points.

SL Spanish B

A second language is always beneficial, and Spanish is widely spoken, which could be an advantage in the global business world.

SL Biology

While not directly related to business, having a diverse knowledge base is always good. Plus, the analytical skills you develop in sciences can be applied in business scenarios.

SL Geography vs. SL Psychology

Both subjects can be relevant to business. Geography can give you insights into global markets, demographics, and environmental considerations, which are becoming increasingly important in business. Psychology can offer insights into consumer behavior, organizational behavior, and more. The choice here might come down to personal interest and where you feel you can achieve the best grade. If you've heard geography is easier and you're looking to maximize points, then it might be the way to go. However, always consider your personal interest in the subject as well, as genuine interest can often lead to better performance.

In terms of college applications, while the specific subjects can matter for some very specialized programs, often it's the overall score, your Extended Essay, CAS, and TOK that universities consider. It's also about the skills and knowledge you gain and how you apply them.

Lastly, always think about discussing your choices with your school's IB coordinator or a guidance counselor. They might have insights specific to your school and past students' experiences.

Best of luck with your IB studies! You're setting yourself up for a bright future in the business world.