Just a personal problem

ROSEAN

hey,

i would like to study at an university when i take my ib in 2010. now i have to decide for a degree, a country/town and an university/a college. my first thoughts were i am not set on a special country. i could go to the us as well i remain in switzerland or return to uk. i am looking for degrees in business/management/economics or engineering or law/jurisprudence. Or maybe a mixture of these subjects. i am looking for an university where i get a high level of professional competence and so on. the possobility to study for one or more semester at another university is very important for me.

so my question is which university compares mostly with my requirements?

Well, you can rule out the States for starters if you are interested in Law. They don't offer undergraduate law courses, it's only a postgraduate course. In the UK you can do undergraduate law, which gives you the LLB qualification. As an advice, it's better not to combine law with any other course at undergrad level (say, law and business). Those tend to be less appreciated courses offered by less appreciated universities. However, a course like Economics and International Relations is a very good combination, so don't be afraid to mix economics with other disciplines. It's also probably a good idea not to mix engineering with another subject, unless your university is Oxford class.

thanks for you advice, but what is the llb qualification?

economics and international relations sounds very interesting in combination. where it is offered? maybe at lse? if i will study at a germany university i prefer a international course, not only the general programmes in bwl/vwl.

Edited by ROSEAN

The University of Edinburgh offers Politics and Economics, which is a lot like Intl Relations/Economics. LSE doesn't offer that combination. If you want to see all the courses offered at British universities, go to www.ucas.com and do a subejct search for Economics or International Relations. A big list comes up.

The LLB degree is explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Laws .

In the UK there are many opportunities for an exchange abroad for one year, in universities all over the world as well as within Europe. Most students go on an exchange in their 3rd year (degrees with exchange programs last 4 years). All universities there offer these programs.

www.ucas.comhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Laws
thank you very much!but it has always been my dream that i go to an ivy league university or study at oxbridge. on the other hand i would like to remain in an exciting city called london. there are many of my friends, too. lse, ucl and icl are very acknowledged and interesting for me. and what is about the american colleges of ivy league?
Can you please capitalise properly? It makes for very hard reading.

All right! I will try it.

A lot of people dream about going to Oxbridge or the Ivies; I did too when I was younger, and then later I realized that they werne't for me because I didn't like the atmosphere they represented. I want somewhere modern, hip and not obsessed with tradition. Obviously none of those colleges fit in with that, so I applied to places I thought would suit me better. Do you want to go to those universities because of their image or because of the courses they offer? One girl in my school doesn't care what she studies at Oxford, as long as she gets in next year. There's not really a point going somewhere if you don't like the courses.

America is expensive to study in for Europeans, even if you do get scholarships/financial aid. The UK is more expensive than some EU countries (such as Germany), but they have very good universities. London is expensive to live in. It costs about £2000 pounds more per year to lvie in for students (so approximately £13,000 pounds each year). Yes, the UK universities you mentioned are good but there are also many others that are just as good, such as Edinburgh, St Andrews, Sheffield, Bath, Leeds, Nottingham, Warwick and so on. If you want to know mroe about these universities, look here http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php , wher ethey rank all of them and have profiles on them.

Even this atmosphare, combined with the excellent professors, halls, libraries and so on, are the basis for my request to study at Oxbridge or the Ivies. Obviously, the image of this institutions is an advantage of them, but only in combination with the courses, wich are offered, it makes special compared with other colleges.

Does Harvard, Yale or the others offer undergraduate programmes in my favorite courses?

Does someone knows the most important universities in germany? WHU, EBS, LMU, MBS, LBS or the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management? What is about the Uni St. Gallen?

It is no problem, if I will go to London. I lived there a few years ago and my parents untill today. I love it so much to live in big cities. Another is the city where I was born: New York. I only heard of NYU, the New York University. Are there other good colleges in New York?

Firstly, if you're not doing English A1, which I don't think you are, you will need to provide a suitable English Language Test such as the IELTS or the TOEFL or prove a pass in GCSE English at the C level to actually get into a university..

Secondly, there are dozens of rankings out there that show which universities are at the top of their game world wide and within their respective countries. :( is your friend. To help you out, google 'Times Good University Guide' for the UK, and 'US News University Rankings' for the US. Do your own research.

Thirdly, Do you seriously think you have the aptitude for Ivies and and Oxbridge? You need to excel in the interviews as well provide top results. You will also need excellent SATs for the US. Oh and a lot of people aspire to go to Oxbridge, it's not for everybody to get in for their bachelors, myself included.

If a big city is what you want I would rule out Oxbridge if I were you, but of the two Oxford is a bit bigger. They probably (at least I hope so) do have their nightlife, but it is very much student oriented (which can be a bonus). For New York, there are tons of universities, NYU and Columbia are probably the most well known (Columbia is an Ivy league school in case you didn't know).

When it comes to proficiency in English, English A2 should do fine, at least HL, but at least from my school those with A2 SL have had no problems in getting offers for example from LSE.

And as others mentioned, be prepared not to get in, it can be very tough and sometimes random. In addition, when you look at the universities, pay attention to what they require from you (which subjects, the amount of points normally demanded to get in, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

It would probably be useful if you gave us an estimate of your predicted grades so we could actually recommend universities for you. You are probably aware that you need to have about 42 points and 7-6-6 or 7-7-6 at HL to get into the best schools?

hey,

i would like to study at an university when i take my ib in 2010. now i have to decide for a degree, a country/town and an university/a college. my first thoughts were i am not set on a special country. i could go to the us as well i remain in switzerland or return to uk. i am looking for degrees in business/management/economics or engineering or law/jurisprudence. Or maybe a mixture of these subjects. i am looking for an university where i get a high level of professional competence and so on. the possobility to study for one or more semester at another university is very important for me.

so my question is which university compares mostly with my requirements?

well, what you want is specific enough, but you dont say how fast you want to get all this done?

relax and take your time?

as fast as possible?

if you want to go fast, go to school in either UK or Australia (meh)

if you want to take your time and get a nice well rounded education, go to the states.

of course, getting it done faster means less money spent

I think you should think about this first

• Like 1

OK! Many thanks for your advice!

I made a list of my 2 favorite universities and their colleges at the moment:

1. University of Pensylvania, Wharton Business School (Business Undergraduate Program)

2. University of London, London School of Economics and Political Science (Economics, perhaps with an additional course, such as government or policy)

Now I ask me, what about Alumni Relations. How important is a well organized network after degree for a decision for a college? Where I can find the best Alumni Networks, except Harvard?