Comparative Essay

faith

My English teacher wants us to write a comparative essay by contrasting two novels we have studied this year but she hasn't told us what structure it needs to be in. Am I meant to group the paragraphs by themes/points or by the novels?

I find it's easier to write a comparative essay by basing the paragraphs on themes/points and talking about both novels in that paragraph. Otherwise you only really use the conclusion to tie both novels together. If your teacher hasn't told you then I would do the one you're most comfortable with.

I find it's easier to write a comparative essay by basing the paragraphs on themes/points and talking about both novels in that paragraph. Otherwise you only really use the conclusion to tie both novels together. If your teacher hasn't told you then I would do the one you're most comfortable with.

That's the way our teacher told us to do.

Introduction

Theme/point 1 (both novels)

Theme/point 2 (both novels)

Theme/point 3 (both novels) - optional

Conclusion

Just remember that a good essay must never be linear.

By this I mean:

Intro

Body 1 - 1st Book.

Body 2 - 2nd Book.

Body 3 - List of Differences

Conclusion

Always make an outline before starting an essay.

Usually you take one major theme, or something like characterization and then each of your bodies is one big idea.

Goodluck!

I find it easier to compare books throughout the entire essay, and working through themes. You should make sure that you have very clear topic sentences (the first sentence of each paragraph) that introduce what you'll be discussing in the paragraph. Imagine that an examiner will only read the first sentence of each paragraph (my English examiner told me that some examiners do seem to do this, especially if they are in a hurry to mark a lot of paper before a deadline). Therefore the first sentence of each paragraph must argue your thesis. Don't waste these sentences by saying vague things like "The authors use perosnification to create vivid imagery" or "The main female protagonist is seen as bad." You want something that includes both the effect that is achieved, and how it is achieved e.g. "Zola and Strindberg, through their use of contrast, create characters who maintain an appearance of civility yet inside seeth with burning hatred and unreleased anger." Theat sentence contributes something to your essay, and isn't just an "empty" sentence.

Thank you everyone!

I ended up using the point by point comparing method in the end because it was easier for me. Although I've already handed my essay in, there is still something I'm unsure about. If I am comparing a certain aspect of the two books, such as the emotions used, do I have to talk about every single type of emotion I can think of? If not, how many types of emotion should i mention?

Thank you everyone!

I ended up using the point by point comparing method in the end because it was easier for me. Although I've already handed my essay in, there is still something I'm unsure about. If I am comparing a certain aspect of the two books, such as the emotions used, do I have to talk about every single type of emotion I can think of? If not, how many types of emotion should i mention?

I think it's all about reasonableness. If you talked about emotions you should try to mention as many as you could, but then if that means you would never discuss and compare the works properly, or not give enough examples, there's not much point. Provided you focused on the main emotions within the book (anger, love, jealousy, envy, hate etc.), failing to mention the smaller emotions is unlikely to take away from the quality of your essay. It really depends on what your novels/plays/etc are about, but ultimately you want to create a balance of breadth against depth, and you're probably the only person who can decide where that balance ought to be struck! My advice is to check that you're ticking off the marking criteria with what it is that you -do- say, and to not leave out any emotions key to the plot and storyline. Like the story of Macbeth without power, guilt, terror etc. in it would be pretty empty, but if you failed to mention 'joy' from the tiny section at the start where the King was happy with Macbeth and what was going on, I don't think anybody would penalise you for it, especially in a relatively short essay like these WL essays :D

Well in our school, we have started proposing our world lit ideas. some of my classmates are concentrating on the literary features present in the two books, comparing and contrasting the similarities and differences in the usage of both books and some on concentrating on the themes. it is also suggested that we can try doing something on the common events like marriage in Chronicle of a death foretold and like water for chocolate if you want to do something about its relation to society. you may group the novels according to themes

good luck to you :D

Thank you everyone!

No I think you should talk about the main emotions used and state the significance of them. Possibly 2 to 3 emotions... I would say. This way, your essay will become coherent

By this I mean:

Intro

Body 1 - 1st Book.

Body 2 - 2nd Book.

Conclusion

Why not?

It's a pretty poor comparative structure. It's not so much a comparative essay as a description, a description and then a list and a summary. You want to compare closely and all the way through if you want good marks.

By this I mean:

Intro

Body 1 - 1st Book.

Body 2 - 2nd Book.

Conclusion

Why not?

It's a pretty poor comparative structure. It's not so much a comparative essay as a description, a description and then a list and a summary. You want to compare closely and all the way through if you want good marks.

So it's better to take one point at the time and compare, such as

Event (or description/technique/whatever) 1 in first book

Event 1 in second book

Comparison of these events

Event 2 in first book

Event 2 in second book

Conclusion

Yes is the long answer! :)

It's a better structure purely because the comparison is a close comparison -i.e. the reader can actually see you setting the points against each other- as opposed to an analysis where the reader is expected to memorise what you picked out in different places. It's actually easier to write, anyway -- at least I find so! It allows you to get to the level of detail that you can get in some good juicy quotes and references :)

Event 1 in second book

Event 2 in first book

Event 2 in second book

Conclusion

Basically, that's it. You'll do that 3 times, once for each paragraph (or more, if you're feeling sassy), and each paragraph should explain a detail or support an argument of your thesis.

Event 1 in second book

Event 2 in first book

Event 2 in second book

Conclusion

Basically, that's it. You'll do that 3 times, once for each paragraph (or more, if you're feeling sassy), and each paragraph should explain a detail or support an argument of your thesis.

does that mean each little point you've stated should be a separate paragraph?

i think this is a very neat way to present the essay.

i handed in a comparative essay with big chunks of paragraphs that just focused on one aspect on both books (comparing them at the same time) for each paragraph, and i ended up getting into trouble about paragraphing.

Event 1 in second book

Event 2 in first book

Event 2 in second book

Conclusion

i handed in a comparative essay with big chunks of paragraphs that just focused on one aspect on both books (comparing them at the same time) for each paragraph, and i ended up getting into trouble about paragraphing.

From what I gathered here there seems to be many different ways to approach a comparative essay, but I think whichever way you choose, you shouldn't make the paragraphs too big because firstly you will confuse the marker, and secondly, it won't look to good on a page. =)

Event 1 in second book

Event 2 in first book

Event 2 in second book

Conclusion

From what I gathered here there seems to be many different ways to approach a comparative essay, but I think whichever way you choose, you shouldn't make the paragraphs too big because firstly you will confuse the marker, and secondly, it won't look to good on a page. =)

Well, my school's always taught me to pick up the three most important details, and to highlight them with examples in each paragraph. A main point in each paragraph, that is, something like endless_blue described. I guess each school grades a bit differently, but there shouldn't too large of a contrast.