Heinemann or Course Companion?

I'm trying to buy some books.

I'm allowed to buy only three though...

I want books for Math SL, Chem HL, Biology HL and maybe Psychology SL.

Should I buy Heinemann or Course Companions from IB?

I want the better one, not the cheaper one ^^

Heinemann is publishing their HL level Chemistry book in a month.

I highly recommend the Heinemann HL Bio book! Its great. Its organized according to the 2009 syllabus and each topic has its own chapter! Its amazing. It also has nice margins, which were quite useful when it came to writing summarized notes or something like that when revising. It has really nice pictures and diagrams too.

Definitely check it out they have sections of the first and second chapters on line. Definitely consider this book. Its great!

The Heinemann books are really good. I saw the biology one, and its top notch quality. It will really aid your learning. It has a lot of pictures and really presents the information the right way. Dunno about the chem one, waiting for someone to give it an amazing review over the other books in order to buy it at 70-80$.

The course companions I find are not that great. They are okay. They give u a bullet point type paragraph of what is important. The IB course companions that is. I have the chem and bio one, and they are good yes - but could be better. The one study guide I love is the chemistry IB study guide with a match on it. Its by Geoff Neuss. It always has everything I want.

For example, in studying organic I didnt really understand too much benzene. Sure I read that it had alternating bonds, and the delocolized electrons made some sense. But the course companion offered a higher level type of information. It stated that benzene was more prone to substitution reactions, rather than addition, because it's delocolized energy was at 150 KJ/mol. Form this, I can ponder why and apply the statement to different situations. I would get this study guide. The biology one is as well extremely well organized and put together.

Don't buy the course Companion for maths .

1) There are so many errors in the questions

2) it contains more TOK than maths.(that's maybe a bit exaggerated

3) the topics aren't describe detailed enough

4) and presented in a totally confusing way.

so I would strongly advice not to buy the course companion for maths

but the biology one is quite useful.

Edited by rainbow

I highly advise you get ahold of the Heinneman. The HL bio one is on my school's list and I just think it's fantastic. The material isn't too wordy that it's a headache to read and it isn't so conicse that everything just goes over your head. What's also nice is the answers in the back- they pretty much mirror an IB mark scheme- it essentially includes all the possible answers versus one universal one.

plus, the heinneman has online links to free extra material. I haven't made heavy use of it, but it's still a plus!

Edited by Nadirah

Heinemann, Heinemann, Heinemann!

Alone due to the fact that everything is in color, (well it helps me to learn more) Heinemann is really recommendable.

I can say that its history books are good, its physics and chemistry are just perfect (even though the HL versions have not come out yet) and I am thinking of buying the Bio HL as well. It really pays off and helps in exams, I think.

The one study guide I love is the chemistry IB study guide with a match on it. Its by Geoff Neuss. It always has everything I want.

Shouldn't you be using the new study guides for M09 and on? I have the match one because I bought it before I knew about the syllabus change, but technically, should be using the 'blue and green toxic chemicals' one...