What subjects should i choose?

Omar_elsherif

Hi guys,

as it may seem im new to the site, and im going to be joining IB next year.

Im interested in going into uni as an engineer, but the thing is, i dont know which subjects to choose.

this is what ive heard from people

Math HL

Physics HL

Economics HL

English SL

Arabic SL

Chemistry SL

i read on a post here earlier that someone wanted to take math physics and chem HL and he was told thats a bad idea. But what if i want to do chemical engineering.. wouldnt i need chem HL in that case?

Hope someone can help

Edited by Mahuta
Once again, do not use text speak please. Maha

That looks like a decent subject combination. Since you're thinking about chemical engineering at university, you're probably maths/sciences-inclined and hence, you'll manage if you work hard. :P

Do you know what univ you're interested in? Check up on the site to see what the reqs are. If they require chem at HL, then take it; if they don't, then it's up to you to take it or not. And do you have a good teacher for chem? It makes alllll the difference between chem being 'hard' and relatively 'easy'. Same goes for math and physics.

I say take chemistry if you want chemical engineering, and swap it for physics.

Keep economics, dont swap this one. Just because the economic concepts are important for the most part. If you are truly amazing at math, seeing as how you have Math HL, the perfect combination for a chemical engineer would be Chem, Math and Physics HL. This is a lot of work. I cant stress that enough. you will be drowned in work some days, and others will seem easy.

To be really frank with you, it doesn't sound like you know too much of the work load that you might experience. So I would suggest further research. I can tell you about Chem HL in detail if you'd like - just pm me. I can tell you briefly, it's a lot of work and the concepts get harder since they require a connection of the rudiments and more to deduce a concept. On the IB exam you wont find repetitive type questions you experienced before in class. You will find questions that ask of you to apply your knowledge to hypothetical situations. So you need to be prepared to know things inside out.

I feel like taking all three would really steal time away from getting a great education. You won't have the capacity to absorb all that you need from all of them - and your scores might all suffer due to lack of time. Economics might be an easier course in order to help allocate your time more wisely. If you are interest in things besides school, I suggest taking economics. If you honestly have no life like some of the most wonderful people I know (including myself..tooting my own horn I see :) ), then choose the 3 hardest subjects in the form of 2 sciences and math HL.

• 2 weeks later...

I would take chemistry at HL and economics at SL. Why would you need Economics at HL if yuo're going to do chemical engineering? Why dont you consider taking another subject like ITGS or something like that. You are interested in Chemical engineering, i.e, a scientific domain, I dont think you're going to find economics interesting. I am saying this because I greatly regret taking business in IGCSE when i am a totally scientific person. You cant afford to lose a point after two years just because you cant really find any interest in the subject.

Having said that, I would find myself in a difficult situation having chem, math and physics at HL, which i call insanity, lol. So I would definatly reconsider the economics HL and swap it with something else. If you're good in Arabic take it as HL, its not much difference between HL and SL, at least from what I saw. I am not sure you need Physics HL. I never took physics so I am not certain.

My opinion anyways.

That courseload does look pretty decent. I'm guessing your strengths are in sciences, then?

However, if you do want to go into chemical engineering, definitely take Chemistry HL. I'd say swap that for Economics HL, or, if you're really ambitious, take 4 HLs. However, Math/Physics/Chemistry/Group 3 HL together = imminent death right there, so perhaps your best option would simply be to drop Economics HL.

In the end, it's important that you make the appropriate decisions which benefit you above all the best. :P