Unseen Commentary

My teacher had a discussion with us about our Paper 1 exam that we will take on Monday.

He told us that examiners usually like to see some unique style of writing. They tend to get bored of SCASI.

So I was just wondering.

How do you guys encounter a commentary?

I approach the commentary from the perspective of my interpretation. Pick out what you feel about the poem and then turn it into a long analytical argument for your case :rofl:

You cover all the same stuff, and it's much more enjoyable.

thanks. i tried doing that this morning as a practice!

You're right, its much more enjoyable and easier to write in your own way.

thanks!

It is probably better to stick with something that u know is correct than do something unique and totally ruin it. Anyway my own opinion

I was actually talking to my sister about that today, and I think that for the most part, it's better to stick with what you KNOW is correct than just taking a chance. I personally would not want to take a chance with my IB grade. For example, if it comes down to going with the prose that you're sure you understand completely, and a poem that you're somewhat sure but may be taking a risk, I'd go with the prose. If you still want to take a risk, I'd do what is correct and then add a few unique aspects here and there, that way you get best of both worlds and have a chance of getting a few bonus points for taking a chance.

Hope that helps!

It is probably better to stick with something that u know is correct than do something unique and totally ruin it. Anyway my own opinion

Well, since it's unseen, you haven't seen it before and can hardly know what is "correct", can you? I usually follow my instincts, as long as I can support them with quotes.

We did a practice oral commentary in class, which helped a lot in just figuring out what points you understood in the prose, what jumped out to you, and what you were personally interested in. Robotic answers about literary techniques are ok, but making the answer more personal and instinctual WITH some literary techniques (of course!) would be the best bet, I think. Time management is also a good skill to learn for this task. :D