Extended Essay for A1

Jade in Paris

I am going to be taking the IB next year and as preperation the teachers are making us do a mini extended essay. Im doing my extended essay under A1 and can not think of anything!!! One of the big problems that I have is that I dont have enough time to read a book or a few novels. If anybody could give me any help or hints then that would be greatly apreciated!!! Thnx

Edited by Jade in Paris

I agree with Mahuta. Besides, remember that the essay is a research paper. Therefore, it should have a theoretical framework and it should contain critical material supporting the analysis you make. In other words, you have to read more than just one book (the one you would analyse) in order to write a good essay. G'luck!

Have you thought about doing your mini EE on books that you have read in English class? Since you're almost finished this year, there must be some books you've read. Pick two that have something in common (a theme, similar characters) and compare and contrast. Or come up with a thesis statement (e.g. This character reacts to personal tragedy in her life much more passionately and stirringly than this one) and then argue to what extent you statement is true.

And if you don't like the books you've read in class, then pick two short ones (like Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland) and formulate a question from there onwards. Children's books are perfectly fine for A1 EE's.

And if you want to do an EE in A1, you have to understand that you'll be reading the two books (or at least sections of them) over and over, analyzing and looking up quotes. There's no point in doing an EE in A1 if you've already decided you don't have time to read. Make time. You will have to read primary and secondary sources for all other EE subject essays too, and I honestly think that English has less reading than other subjects like History (since you use far less secondary sources and use mostly the books you've chosen).

• Like 1

The childrens story thing is a really good idea. Im thinking i can probabaly just find two shorter books, like you mentioned, and do an analysis on that. Last year I studied the little prince and maybe I can do something off of that, or George Orwells 1984, or Of mice and men. The only problem is what books can i compare them to or tie them togeather with a general theme. Sobody mentioned that it has to be a comparison of two books, is tht true or can it be an analysis of one? And as a last question, what is considered a primary and secondary source in literature?

Thank you soooooooooo much!!! I really apreciate it!

It doesn't have to be a comparison, you can do it on only one novel/play/whatever, but then it has to be originally written in you A1 language. So if you're taking French A1 and write your EE on one novel, it has to be French. If you do a comparison, one of the books can be a translation.

If I'm correctly, primary sources are the books you're doing it on, secondary sources is what someone else has written about those books.

Edited by Tilia

The primary sources are the books themselves. Secondary sources are things like literary essays/critics viewpoints on the books that you can find online or in books that contain a collection of literary essays on a certain book (these books are useful but also quite expensive, usually $50 and up).

In general most people write an EE on at least two books because one book generally doesn't provide enough analysis for the word count. I compared Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre for the main characters' adherence to social convention. My friend wrote her EE on sensual and visual appeals in 3 children's books (Roald Dahl, Winnie the Pooh and something else) and the emotions that they evoke in child audiences. One person on here (one of the moderators) wrote her EE on Harry Potter and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and a comparison between the villains in them.

• Like 1

Does the extended essay in A1 have to be based on a novel/play/etc. composed in the original language?

My Language A1 is English and I had the intention of writing my extended essay on Marcel Proust's Swann's Way but I was not informed of this rule when choosing my topic.

My school is fairly new at IB, so if this is a mishap, I would like to know before I submit the EE to IB.

Yes, at least one of the works you base your EE on MUST originally be written in the A1 language you're writing in. You are allowed to also include a work translated from another language, but it is better to just go with works from the same language.

Considering that you're in English A1, you have a lot to choose from. :)

I did my EE in English A1 about literary features in The Great Gatsby. I originally wanted to do a comparison, but it did not work out, so it is much easier to focus on one book rather than trying to compare two. That is, unless, the books share a strong commonality. I agree with everyone else, it is much easier to do it on books you have read in IB.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

yes books are the most recommended sources.

you may do something on a book you are mostly interested in probably not the one studied at school.

you can focus on the themes or any literary feature and its effect on the book, or something socially related to the book

good luck!

Actually, you should avoid doing anything too focused on social connections; my EE was borderline "too unliterary" at first, and my supervisor kept making me change it to a more literary focus. So I really wouldn't recommend anybody to focus on anything "socially related"! Group 1 essays should be literary; Group 2 essays can be social.

• 14 years later...