Controversy on 'sorry'

Haney

there are heaps of instances where people say they're sorry, but there's that little glitch. As the title suggest I'm going to be quite abit controversal, but I really do not mean to offend anyone reading. so here goes

1. aus's sorry day:

a) I understand the symbolism of the event, but the people we are dealing with (on both sides) aren't even the orginial people... Where was the purpose in that? Most people don't even feel (on both sides again) the proper emotions becuase it is so removed from them. I'm a 1st generation immigrant... I'm Australian though... and I'm sorry because my ancestors were over in another country km away?

b) romeo and juliet: oh how nice... the two warring families made up.... but they left it till soon enough didn't they? and the monument? thanks, but it would have been nice if you did something for them whilst they were alive...

c) bumping into someone and saying 'oh sorry~' when you're not.

what do you think of these examples? what are some 'sorry' examples of your own? has the word really lost its meaning? is it now just a habit? Is it even ethical to say it unless you really mean it, and what substitute would you find for it?

Edited by Haney

(p.s, it might have helped if you had briefly described what Australia's National Sorry Day is, I doubt most people are familiar with it, though I could be wrong)

Regarding the lost generation, it's not as if this occurred some time in the 16th century or whatever, there are bound to be a lot of people, still alive today, who were affected detrimentally by the policy. So when you say "the people we are dealing with (on both sides) aren't even the orginial people", that seems simply not true. And even if it weren't directly relevant to people living today, I still think there would be nothing wrong with it. Looking back to regret the choices made by people in the past, and lamenting how people treated each other, and keeping this in mind when looking to the future, seems important to me. It's not as if it's laying the blame as you seem to suggest, it's not saying "You white Australians all owe an apology to indigenous Australians for the way your ancestors treated them." I agree, that would be nuts.

Then about c), I don't think anyone uses the word in this case to actually represent heartfelt regrets or anything, it's just being polite. A slightly different use of the word is all, doesn't seem so bad to me.

(p.s, it might have helped if you had briefly described what Australia's National Sorry Day is, I doubt most people are familiar with it, though I could be wrong)

Regarding the lost generation, it's not as if this occurred some time in the 16th century or whatever, there are bound to be a lot of people, still alive today, who were affected detrimentally by the policy. So when you say "the people we are dealing with (on both sides) aren't even the orginial people", that seems simply not true. And even if it weren't directly relevant to people living today, I still think there would be nothing wrong with it. Looking back to regret the choices made by people in the past, and lamenting how people treated each other, and keeping this in mind when looking to the future, seems important to me. It's not as if it's laying the blame as you seem to suggest, it's not saying "You white Australians all owe an apology to indigenous Australians for the way your ancestors treated them." I agree, that would be nuts.

Then about c), I don't think anyone uses the word in this case to actually represent heartfelt regrets or anything, it's just being polite. A slightly different use of the word is all, doesn't seem so bad to me.

sorry about not describing sorry day- and yes you've got it right.

I'm testing this out for my TOK presentation topic, but seeing the response -which has been very helpful - :S

I guess I'll have to look for another one.

Thank you so much!