Paper Three

heronumbazero

So, I've started studying for the IB exams (yay!). And paper three, lemme say, holy CRAP it covers so much information! I don't have the attention span to learn so much stuff in such a short period of time!

I was looking over some past papers and found that they almost always ask a question on the American Civil War. Are there any other topics that they seem to ask every year?

Honestly your best bet is to look at the IB History Subject Guide and look at pages 24-28. That part of the subject guide covers everything that shows up on Paper 3 of the History of the Americas exam.

If you don't care to find the guide, I would recommend that you have a look at a selection of the following topics: The Articles of Confederation/Constitution, Slavery, The US Civil War, The Progressive Movement, The Monroe Doctrine/Good Neighbor Policy/ Spheres of influence, The Great Depression, The Mexican Revolution, Populism (Perón and Vargas), WWII, Impact of Cold War in the Americas, Cold War Politics (President Specific), Latin America Post WWII, and OAS/NAFTA/Pacto Andino.

Thanks, but I know that there are about 20 topics that it covers in that area. I am more so looking for ones that are almost always asked. Like I said, the American Civil War. For some reason, there always seems to be a question about that. But they may not have a question about the Great Depression every year.

Actually, I just (literally just) got done organizing all the May exams by the topic number according to the history syllabus and I the ones I listed did show up just about every year.

I know it seems like a lot, but IB really isn't that creative. I just really implore you to look at the subject guide here. It really is helpful, and ironically, IB asks questions about each one of the topics every year in one way or another... I know it sounds crazy, but its true. Check it out, and if you don't believe me compare pages 24-28 to any paper 3 History of the Americas paper from 2003-2008. They don't even change the order.

They always have a question on the Mexican revolution. Either about its leaders or how it developed after the 1920's.

Questions on the foreign policies of certain American presidents always come up too e.g. Compare the foreign policies of Truman and FDR.

Booker T Washington and WEB Du Bois are popular too. There's always questions on Canada but my class isn't studying them so I can't say what kind of question there are.

I don't take HL history myself, only SL. But I was forced to take some classes for credits and my teacher told me that the above questions are always there in different forms.