English A2 Paper 1

EHN

Hi!

What have your teachers told you are the most important literary devices to comment upon when writing the comparative commentary in English paper 1? I have gotten different information from different people, and I'm starting to freak out 'cause it's soon exams... :D

Thanks to everyone who can help me!

Usually there are very clear differences, especially in terms of structure. That is one that you could comment on in any case. Other literary devices include tone and imagery, which are pretty basic and easy to comment on also.

If you take SL, always remember to really take into account the guiding questions !

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is hard to tell you exactly what should you write however, there are some basic things that you need to mention in P1.

GASP- Genre, Audience, Subject,Purpose... start with those when you talk about the genre mention everything you can about the genre for both texts; what it is? why the writer wrote it? what is the message behind it? after mentioning about both texts just compare them.

do the same with Audience, subject and purpose then try to talk about how form,style and language relate to theme matter in two given texts.

- DON'T FORGET to present your observations and comments in a structured manner using relevant example from texts.

- Recognize the similarties between two texts.

- Identify unique features of each text, and comment on the differences between what is sommunicated and how it is communicated.

this is about it.

just remember to have in the introduction a good intro which you talk about what will you write in your paper and in the conclusion make a fast brief of everything you wrote (it shouldn't be more than 8 lines)

GOOD LUCK

Well, the stylistic devices that appear the most are and that you should probably know are:

• Simile ("A dog is like a friend")
  • Metaphor ("A dog is a friend")
  • Synaesthesia ("The silent odour" or "The red voice", i.e. mixing the senses)
  • Hyperbole ("I've been waiting for ages!")
  • Personification ("The sky cried")
  • Euphemism ("He rests in peace now")
  • Paradox ("The cold fire")

Edited by Referos
  • Like 1

Well, the stylistic devices that appear the most are and that you should probably know are:

• Simile ("A dog is like a friend")
  • Metaphor ("A dog is a friend")
  • Synaesthesia ("The silent odour" or "The red voice", i.e. mixing the senses)
  • Hyperbole ("I've been waiting for ages!")
  • Personification ("The sky cried")
  • Euphemism ("He rests in peace now")

• Paradox ("The cold fire")

That's actually an example of an oxymoron. :rofl: Contraction, oxymoron, and paradox are really similar so be weary of the differences.