Portfolio Assignments: How lazy have the teachers got?

Guest Fusschinski

Guest Fusschinski

Portfolio assignments are, in comparison to the exam, the easiest way to get great marks for your maths grade.

At my school the assignments have not changed since like 1999, as we still use the example ones handed out by the IB for teachers. This could suggest that the teachers have become slightly lazy with them.

I do HL maths and we did for our type I task the 'dreaded' "Koch Snowflake" (18/20 :P ) and for type II we had the mind numbing "Making a Logistics model" (19/20 :P ).

Note though that my teacher in no way is an easy marker, and although the great IB in all their incomprehensible glory will probably find marks to take off somewhere, like they do (some guy in last years chem class for 48/48 for practicals and this is from the most experienced chem teacher in the Southern hemisphere, nevertheless he got moderated 8 marks!!!).

So, my question is what did everyone else do? If you did the same ones (like i think many have) how did u find them?

BTW, because many of the HL people in out class did exceptionally well in the portfolio task, out teacher got a bit suspicious, and set us a "Maths oral" which involved basically going through all the calculations again in front of our teacher lol! he disguised this behind a very flimsy guise of "I want to see whether this could be a better teaching method..." ha ha ha like you would change the whole course just because one year happened to do pretty well in the portfolio's! Still, at least he tried?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jaspal4590

I did the radio metric dating and got 16/20, I definily feel it is worth an 18/20. On type one portfolio I did zero's of cubic functions and got a grade 18/20. This was definitly the best math work i've ever turned in.

We just got our 1st IB Portfolio yesterday. We also did a practice one beforehand to get a hang of it. This one is called Tide Modeling and it's a Type 2. My teacher is a hard marker and she says that most students don't do well on the portfolio but since they are only worth a total of 20% of your final mark the students are able to get high marks in the end.

We just got our 1st IB Portfolio yesterday. We also did a practice one beforehand to get a hang of it. This one is called Tide Modeling and it's a Type 2. My teacher is a hard marker and she says that most students don't do well on the portfolio but since they are only worth a total of 20% of your final mark the students are able to get high marks in the end.

I think I might have done the exact same portfolio last year =P (got a 16/20 on it :D )

I think my teacher's also a really hard marker but I guess his marks are still reasonably fair.

• 1 month later...

our teacher has jost quit school but he will supervise us till the externals...i finished my IA but how cna i get it to him...also since i am the only one who ahs done it everyonre want to know what i have done..it was ahrd enough getting one answer let alone for the whole class!! I want to help but they want to copY!!

I am goona hide in the house <_<

my teacher wasnt lazy at all he actually spent time and explained it for us, even gave us hints and ideas, and starting points

i havents finished it yet bt almost done with, there's only some bits and pieces that i dnt understand... and unfortunatley i cant find any well graded (18-20) portfolios that could give me a sense of direction...

as for those ppl in ur class a.barghuthi (hope i spelled it right <_< ) i know how annyoing they could be... i hate to copy as well bt i dnt think there's anything wrng in getting the idea and then using yoru own method and words to present it.

Guest tbittner

Our school just did a big lecture to all the IB students last month about the fact that we arent supposed to collaborate at all on these IA's! We did collaborate last year, and thought it was o.k. I guess everyone's papers had the same mistakes in them last year in the first year of higher level. Now I'm not sure what is o.k. and what isn't. Everyone in the other schools seems to be sharing information, right?

my teacher wasnt lazy at all he actually spent time and explained it for us, even gave us hints and ideas, and starting points

i havents finished it yet bt almost done with, there's only some bits and pieces that i dnt understand... and unfortunatley i cant find any well graded (18-20) portfolios that could give me a sense of direction...

as for those ppl in ur class a.barghuthi (hope i spelled it right XD ) i know how annyoing they could be... i hate to copy as well bt i dnt think there's anything wrng in getting the idea and then using yoru own method and words to present it.

• 3 years later...

come on, everyone is doing the practice in portfolio.? really.? well our teacher decided to give us exactly the week since she had explained to us what we are supposed to do and happily refused any consultations advising us to go for external help, meaning she would prefer us to find a private tutor to do it for us because she is not allowed to tell us anything.

the result was the average mark 13/20 including mine the same outcome for which I am dfgjlk#&gh&!

now she decided to go for maternity leave and instead of doing our portfolio's in March we are obliged to do it now.! struggling with this bloody task I am, but if I don't get higher mark than before I swear I'll smash the GDC on her face

come on, everyone is doing the practice in portfolio.? really.? well our teacher decided to give us exactly the week since she had explained to us what we are supposed to do and happily refused any consultations advising us to go for external help, meaning she would prefer us to find a private tutor to do it for us because she is not allowed to tell us anything.

the result was the average mark 13/20 including mine the same outcome for which I am dfgjlk#&gh&!

now she decided to go for maternity leave and instead of doing our portfolio's in March we are obliged to do it now.! struggling with this bloody task I am, but if I don't get higher mark than before I swear I'll smash the GDC on her face

You shouldn't put the blame on others.

The portfolio's aren't really that difficult - our teacher refused any consultations either - and told us not to ask any instructor who teaches mathematics and warned them

in doing so.

No collaborations. No hints. No clues.

Our class averaged roughly 15-16/20.

Just goes to show you should think about what to do, work with someone who is in the same level as you, and brainstorm methods how to work on the portfolio.

After that, stop collaborating and work on it alone.

When you're done, get someone a grade or two younger to read over your portfolio. If they are ABLE to COMPREHEND what you are saying, chances are you will get

the desired 18+.

That's what i should have done and ended up with a 14/20. I had minor flaws (such as suddenly using different variables and pointless how-to's) resulting in 6 marks docked off.

Edited by Daniel Inchan Jung