Pediatrician - Canada

1-2-3

[font="Century Gothic"]Just a few questions:

What higher studies would one have to pursue in order to become a pediatrician in Canada?

How many years would that take? (Residency?)

How are the employment prospects in Canada? In Ontario?

What is the average salary range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) [/font]

[quote name='1-2-3' post='42917' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:37 PM'][font="Century Gothic"]Just a few questions:

What higher studies would one have to pursue in order to become a pediatrician in Canada?

How many years would that take? (Residency?)

How are the employment prospects in Canada? In Ontario?

What is the average salary range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) [/font][/quote]

You would need an undergraduate degree (in any field) and then apply to med school, which is 4 years + 1-2 years of residency, usually. That's 10 years in total, except some people choose to complete their undergrad degree in 2-3 years if you're extremely smart and can get into med school then, which potentially cuts school time down to 8-9 years.

Doctors are always needed :) . Salaries won't be spectacular in Canada since you're employed by the government and not running a private practice, but hey, at least you're all set for recessions and when the economy isn't doing so hot.

And SharkSpider, pediatricians are children's doctors, haha.

[quote name='SharkSpider' post='42918' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:52 PM'][url="http://pediatrics.about.com/od/becomingapediatrician/Becoming_a_Pediatrician.htm"]http://pediatrics.about.com/od/becomingape...ediatrician.htm[/url]

Well... google helps, and make sure you don't do it just cause you like feet! Not all your patients will have nice ones![/quote]

I tried 'googling' it as well :blink:
But, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for and maybe I gave up too soon :mike:

So, thanks : )

"make sure you don't do it just cause you like feet! Not all your patients will have nice ones!"

That kept me thinking for a while :P