summer program?

faith

I know U.S colleges put a lot of weight of what the applicants do during summer. The thing is, unlike in the U.S, the country where i live (Australia), doesn't really have many programs available. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what things I can do during summer?

Study, do your EE, study, do your IAs, study, catch up on any CAS, study and enjoy the little time that you have before you're stuck in the commitment of school for another academic year, and this time there won't be any time to relax.

Besides, what kind of summer program are you looking at? I strongly advise that you complete your EE.

There's alot to do in the summer, lol. As Aboo said, finish your EE and get it over with. It will be insanely stressful without the EE in the beginning of IB2, let alone with the EE. If you can finish your CAS, I regret not finishing my CAS last summer, seriosuly, you wont regret it.

If you're applying for some medical thing, do some shadowing it's taken in consideration a lot by UNI's. Or a training course or something.

[quote name='Aboo' post='42835' date='Apr 9 2009, 11:13 PM']Study, do your EE, study, do your IAs, study, catch up on any CAS, study and enjoy the little time that you have before you're stuck in the commitment of school for another academic year, and this time there won't be any time to relax.

Besides, what kind of summer program are you looking at? I strongly advise that you complete your EE.[/quote]

Doing my EE is a good idea. =)
The thing is, my friends who are currently studying in the U.S all participate in good summer programs that will add a lot to their college application. One friend volunteered at her father's hospital while another friend entered summer programs at colleges such as Duke and U.Penn. The fact that Australia doesn't offer many summer programs for high school students makes it really hard for me to find a program to do. I'm afraid that my lack of interesting activities during the summer might be damaging when it comes to college applications.
Also, just out of interests, did anyone put down "doing the EE" as a summer activity in college applications?

[quote name='Forester' post='42844' date='Apr 10 2009, 08:07 AM']I worked in a restaurant, volunteered, tutored, went to conferences/camps and also made a website because I was bored.[/quote]

Forester, what kind of conferences and camps did you go to? And are they all in New Zealand?

Yea they were all in NZ, some out of my city, but not out of the country. They all had something to do with the environment. I organized some of them :P

Put yourself out there, and you'd be surprised at the number of opportunities.

Edited by Forester

[quote name='Forester' post='42862' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:42 PM']Yea they were all in NZ, some out of my city, but not out of the country. They all had something to do with the environment. I organized some of them :blink:

Put yourself out there, and you'd be surprised at the number of opportunities.[/quote]

Wow, you organized conferences and camps? How did you do it? Did you organize a group to plant trees or something?

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of attending one of these summer schools next summer. (The Mid-IB Summer School)
http://www.osc-ib.com/ib-courses/
Has anyone gone there ?
I'm mostly interested in the Cambridge program but I haven't decided yet. MIT and Harvard sound fascinating to me :D

P.S. Read the information. They really help you if you haven't got something at school, plus the help you with TOK and your EE!
It's one subject per week :)

Edited by Smid1345