My extended essay

BCmh

HEY everyone, i need ideas and general guidelines on an extended essay for political science, international relations, law or human rights...

Any ideas and help especially from those who have done extended essays in those subjects is much appreciated!

For politics, i'm thinking of doing something on whether the cold war has really ended or not... but i need to come up with a research question.

Edited by BCmh

HEY everyone, i need ideas and general guidelines on an extended essay for political science, international relations, law or human rights...

Any ideas and help especially from those who have done extended essays in those subjects is much appreciated!

For politics, i'm thinking of doing something on whether the cold war has really ended or not... but i need to come up with a research question.

you need to mask this into a history or ITGS based EE. I would suggest going to a library, buy some great coffee, and look through the books. It will really help you.

Look in your EE guidebook. Remember the title must be original -- i.e. not researched at that angle before. You need a precise and narrow title. 4000 words may seem like a lot, but with a good title, it should be a slight struggle to remain within the word limit. Title's that explore different aspects of the same question can encourage a essay format, and create a definitive direction, eg. What was the cultural, social and religious influence of _______ on ________. This way, you can spend 1000 words introducing/ explaining/concluding and 1000 words each on social, cultural and religiuous influences. Of course, this is rather narrow, but three pronged questions can help you form a formal title, encourage structure and help with meeting the word limit.

Your idea about the cold war sounds fine for an embryonic idea, but you need to ensure that it has not been covered before, and that you expand the title to a point that it is narrow enough to keep to the word limit, but significant and material enough to be fill yur essay with reasoned, RELEVANT information. And finally, your eassy MUST argue something. Argue that A B and C did have a significant influence on D. Argue SOMETHING that is relevant to your title, so that you can actually come to a conclusion on your conclusion. Take a stand! ARGUE! DEFEND! And make sure that what you are arguing is worthwhile! This is why it is so much better to be passionate about your topic. It also adds to the wholistic worth of your essay, which is a marking criteria.

Oh! And READ THE GUIDE! Do it! If not, you are putting yourself in a terrific disadvantage and deserve to get bad marks! DO IT!

• Like 1

I'd be wary of making this a Philosophy essay. They want analysis of philosophical issues and the way in which you're thinking of approaching it is a big deal. You could potentially do it on human rights, but then it would have to be along the lines of 'what are human rights' 'how can we justify needing them' and you'd have to do various perspectives as to why they are beneficial, or generally why we should have them from different perspectives and it'd be a terrible headache (in my opinion!).

If I were you and interested in the cold war, I'd go with your modern day example and then make it into a history essay making comparisons and contrasts between your modern day scenario and the cold war scenario. That'd be the easiest way to do it. As somebody else said, none of those things you mentioned are actually Extended Essay subjects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys thanks for some of the help, i've decided to do an EE on politics with this as my research question: Why does NATO still continue to expand even after the Cold War has ended?

I know it sounds really broad right now, that's why i need any suggestions i can get on how to further refine this research question... THANKS!

Then how could i refine it? and why is my grade at risk? is it that bad?

IBO hires people to grade these essays. So you can imagine what your grade will look like if a examiner is scoring it, and has no idea what you are talking about because they are hired for history and are starring at a economics paper for example. You have to be precise in what you write, and you cant have such geenral topics. here are some of my rules that i think work well:

- nothing too researched (fuels, a certain civil war in general pov)

- has to be original

- has to be one-sided subject

- highly specific

- follows the guidelines of a college paper (biology would follow the general international guidelines a research scientist would know. like small increments of molarity)

- if English and history are the EE, then extreme amount of work should be put into making the paper stand out.

"What justifications are there for the enlargement of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in the 21st century?"

Would this be a better research question?

Of course by 21st century, i mean 2000-2009.

Edited by BCmh

I think you're limiting yourself to describing justifications, and in some other EE threads students have been discouraged from doing essays like "What justifications were there for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings?" because you end up describing it all, and then doing what? There's no place for analysis in your question, it's just narrative. NATO also isn't really a specific political organization, in the same way that the UN isn't. I think politics EE's should deal with the politics of one specific country rather than an international organization.

I think a subject which you could do your EE in would be Peace and Conflict Studies. However, I think you would do better to pick a conflict in the world (e.g. Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, South Ossetia) and examine solutions to the conflict. In that context, you could analyse the possible role of NATO in solving the conflict, based on its previous successes/failures in Kosovo, for example. Your research question could be something like "The conflict between Tibet and China: To what extent is a peaceful solution without military intervention possible? You must remember to suggest solutions, that is one of the criteria.

Or another good idea: Consider whether the involvement of the NATO forces in the conflict in Kosovo was the best solution to the conflict. You are allowed to do Peace and Conflict EE's on historical events, not just current ones. You would then suggest alternative solutions to the conflict.

Points for you from the EE guide if you want to do Peace and Conflict Studies:

Peace and conflict studies is an interdisciplinary subject, and essays should reflect this. For example, data may be drawn from statistics, geography, sociology, psychology, history, economics, politics and journalism. Such data must be integrated, and shown to be relevant to the scope of the peace and conflict studies syllabus.

Essays in this subject must obviously show an awareness and understanding of the differing roles, views and activities of all parties to the conflict being researched, and must also suggest and critically examine possible solutions to the conflict (criterion F). In responding to this criterion, as well as to criteria D and G, students should use every opportunity to show their awareness of theories about the causes of peace and conflict.

One of the weakest elements of extended essays in this subject is the failure of many students to show that they have any knowledge and understanding of theories about the causes of peace and conflict, which should underpin any study of the subject. At least one of the books that deal with these theories ought to appear in the bibliography and students should show their awareness of such theories at appropriate points in their essays (criterion D).

Criterion D: knowledge and understanding of the topic studied

Students are expected to illustrate their knowledge of the chosen topic by placing it within a context of

peace and conflict in society. This knowledge should include an understanding of academic theories

about the causes of peace and conflict.

Criterion F: application of analytical and evaluative skills appropriate to the subject

Students are expected to apply peace and conflict analysis accurately and consistently, to demonstrate

awareness and understanding of the differing roles, interpretations and actions of all conflicting parties,

as well as a realistic examination of possible solutions to conflict situations.

None of those are EE subjects as far as I know. I don't think you can do a school-based syllabus for your EE.

And you can do school-based syllabi for EE's. From the EE guide: Peace and Conflict Studies: "Students who are considering registering an extended essay in this subject (which is a school-based syllabus) are strongly advised to study carefully a copy of the syllabus, obtainable from IBCA, before making a final decision".

• Like 1